What's new

Are you buying Leopard? (1 Viewer)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator

Well, the whole thing is 64-bit and 32-bit, from top to bottom, and all at the same time (there is no 64 bit version and 32 bit version). That's a pretty big improvement in the system. And core animation.

Quicklook is nice, and Time Machine is a fundamentally better way of backing up. It really makes it painless, more reliable and easier to access old files. (Best to get an airport and plug in a drive, though.) It is a technologically different way of backing up. You should see the article on it at appleinsider.com (among it's other road to Leopard articles).

One of the cool things is that all these features work together. Spotlight to search, Time Machine to enable searching back in time, and Quicklook to make sure it's what you are really looking for before restoring it. Pretty sweet actually.

Regarding the original question, I plan to get it when I use my $100 iPhone credit to buy a new $2,000+ iMac at or around launch.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator

I can't get over that two known bugs thing. I mean, I've run it (to do a 5 minute demo as part of a practice speech for Toastmasters), and Addressbook fails to launch, Mail crashes (and flips between using 0 bytes and 16 TB), and eventually it won't even boot. So, I won't be doing the demo and I've just wiped it off my system. That was a fun weekend. :frowning: Slide show instead now.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm just sitting here biting nails waiting for product announcement.
Gotta be this week if they are expecting a launch around the 26th.

The buggy stuff Oren reported doesn't sound promising and
hopefully Leopard will be working a hell of a lot better upon release.

Oren

Stunt Coordinator

Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz, 1.5GB ram, installed to an external firewire drive.

First, I did an upgrade, and had the problems. So I did a clean install, and it still had the problems.

Trolling the net, I see that others have had similar problems.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Eric, is there an official announcement? I have not found one yet.

EDIT: Never Mind. Apple has it on their home page! COOL!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm almost excited enough to use a dancing banana. Almost. :)

I'm looking forward to the early feedback on installation experience and any software conflicts. I want to buy it straight away if there are no serious negative reports.

ErichH

Screenwriter

You can bet there's an office at Apple that makes the connection.
Wouldn't it be funny if Chiat-Day has a commercial in the works with Chris Lloyd.

Great Scott!!

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
I was hoping for a better educational discount. Edu price on Tiger was $79, but Leopard is $116. I'll skip it for now.

CJ

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Apparently the academic price they charge on their online store is different than what you might get at your local university.

They were selling iWork 08 and iLife 08 online for an "academic price" of $71 (a whopping $8 off $79 MSRP). But in my university store they were $39 (as were previous versions). Macrumors updated their reporting of academic pricing for Leopard to say that I fully expect this to be $69 at the student store.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Here's Apple's list of 300 new features in Leopard.

My upgrade from Panther to Tiger 2 years ago went flawlessly. With that experience bolstering my confidence, I'll be buying Leopard next Friday, so I have all weekend to check it out.

Oh, what the heck. I'll whip out the banana...

htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks