Are You Being Served? The Movie - How Is It?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D., Jul 3, 2002.

1. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Just wondering if anyone picked this DVD up and if so - what are your thoughts??

/Jeff

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Being a giant fan of the series - and I am unanimous in this! - I have to admit that I was rather disappointed in the movie. My wife agreed.

The dynamic of taking them out of the store, and putting them in the middle of a revolution, probably sounded funnier on paper than it looked on screen.

Oh, the characters were their usual selves, and the actors weren't going through the motions or anything. They seemed to do their job well enough. It's hard to pin down exactly where this fails, but here are some thoughts:

First, I must admit that the lack of the usual soundtrack was jarring. The laugh track was missing, and that's probably a good thing, but there was also a lack of the little cash-register sound effects and the sparsity of background music which just left the audio side feeling flat. Sometimes it's the little things that count, and this was noticable, at least to me.

Also, a number of the gags have been seen before. Stand-out example: a reprise of the "Dear Sexy Knickers" gag.

But the real killer seemed to be the lack of comic timing, rythym, and tightness throughout. A few things got a titter out of us, but most everything fell flat.

Overall, it's like they took the worst episode of AYBS and stretched it out to feature length.

I suppose I'll keep the DVD for completeness sake (adding it to the forthcoming box set of every episode), but I do kind of regret buying it. It's just not....entertaining. Not enough, anyway.

Just one man's opinon (well, and his wife's, too)....

3. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Hi David;
    I have actually seen the movie before, so I was looking more for comments on the DVD quality, ie. picture etc.
    I agree with you though. At the end of the day, I think the AYBS? Move is a disaster. I would argue that a LOT of the material is totally rehashed from the series. The lack of studio audience is very jarring and I think is part of the reason it doesn't work. I don't think its fair to consider it as just a 'laugh track'. AYBS? did not used canned laughter and I think the energy of the studio audience was felt by the cast, which affected their performance. The 'feel' of the movie is very different, and I think part of it is the lack of the audience.
    Generally I think the movie is pretty silly. But, I am a die-hard fan and thus I think I have to have it. [​IMG]
    /Jeff

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Being Anchor Bay who did this, it has to be pretty much the best it can be stats wise but have to agree with David on the other points.

Personally, I would have preferred the laugh track and the cash register jingle. It was always a part of what I saw on TV so why should I expect different from the movie? I enjoyed it to some degree but not as much if it would have included one.