What's new

"Are You Being Served?" The First 5 Seasons Coming to DVD in August !!! (1 Viewer)

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I really like this show. Sure, it isn't going to change the world, but it is a great way to relax. I will probably buy it. I guess it depends on how many discs are involved and total cost.

Speaking of British Sit Coms, anyone know if Red Dwarf is available or going to be available on DVD? I havn't seen it anywhere, but then again, it wasn't very well known in the states.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Red Dwarf's reputedly hitting DVD around the time the upcoming film is released.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I know some people, especially the Brits, believe this is a mindless sitcom and won't waste their time on it. But what they don't realize that here in the USA, "Are You Being Served" is one of the all time popular shows broadcast by Public television.

It was also cutting edge by way of pushing the envelope with sexual innuendoes not allowed on American television of the day. Even hearing Mrs. Slocombe talk about her "Pussy" cat throws people for a loop until they understand what she is really talking about. And Mr. Humphries gay character was also a first with taboo TV material of the 1970's.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
James David Walley-
Per comments on ABsoulety FABulous, all British men are
assumed to be gay until proven otherwise. ;)
Thrilled about AYBS, now if we can get Dawn French in
the hillarious Vicar of Dibley on DVD.
Mark

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
This is great news.

I love this show.

Anchor Bay is also putting out the movie..so this will keep me very happy

Volume 1:

Episodes: Dear Sexy Knickers, Our Figures Are Slipping, Camping In. The incredibly popular misadventures of the Grace Brothers department store begin with three classic episodes: Dear Sexy Knickers, Our Figures Are Slipping, and Camping In.

Volume 2:

Episodes: Big Brother, His and Hers, Cold Comfort. A choice selection of three episodes: the staff puts on a show when security cameras are installed, sales plummet when the pretty perfume girl gives away too much, and the fuel crisis has staff relations heating up.

Volume 3:

Episodes: German Week, No Sale, New Look. On sale this week! A few less than stellar ideas for perking up sales. In these three episodes, Grace Brother's tries a German Week (Mr. Humphries in lederhosen), the Great Gatsby look, and Opening Early!

Volume 4:

Episodes: Wedding Bells, Do You Take This Man?, The Erotic Dreams of Mrs. Slocombe. The love life of Mrs. Slocombe is on display in three favorite episodes. The objects of her affection? Young Mr. Grace, who wants to get married, a Greek bouzouki player, who may already be married...and Mr. Humphries!

Volume 5:

Episodes: 50 Years On, Oh What a Tangled Web, Forward Mr. Grainger. Three favorite episodes: Mrs. Slocombe hints it's her birthday and everyone's guessing which one, Captain Peacock's acting very strange around Mr. Rumbold's secretary, and a promotion for Mr. Grainger goes right to his head.

Volume 6:

Episodes: Happy Returns, Founder's Day, The Old Order Changes. Young Mr. Grace in two birthday episodes plus what happens when Mr. Grace tries a more casual American approach to customers

Spero D

Second Unit
That surely is not Seasons 1 through 6 as was original mentioned in the 1st post?

Spero D.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
That can't be right. Those are the same versions as the VHS releases. I just wrote BBC Worlwide Americas and should have and answer shortly.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! This is GREAT! I was hoping they'd get the AYBS? out soon, and now here it comes with 6 volumes!! That's a sale! The day it comes out, I'm there. I'm FREE! I just want to tell the BBC, "You've all done very well!"

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't jump the gun yet. The information is *very* preliminary, and someone at Warner could have listed the VHS info by mistake. I personally hope it was a mistake! :)
The info Gord posted was FROM WB, who only DISTRIBUTES this stuff. BBCAmerica produces these DVDs, and since *they* promised Season Box Sets, then *they* should be the ones to answer this question as to what's really on these discs.
BBCAmerica's website has no listing itself yet, so I hope that the e-mails sent to them will clear up the mystery! If we get better info, I'm sure Gord will update his news.

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Just got a reply from BBC Worldwide:
"Are You Being Served? DVD is currently planned for late summer. This collection will include series one through five, as well as many extra features. Series six through ten will be available in late 2003."
BBC America Shop

Spero D

Second Unit
DVD in North America will be in season sets, with the first set being series one through five. This will be followed by another DVD set encompassing series six through ten. Thus keeping the order of the show intact. It will not be a "Best of..." set that is currently available on VHS.
Just got my reply back to :)
Spero D.

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
John

FYI The First 3 seasons of As Time Goes By will be issued

in Sept according to a review at Classicsondvd.

Best

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks