Are you afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I sure am. There's something so priaml about being in the dark. Whenever I'm alone in the dark, even if I'm 100% sure there's no one else there. I've always got that creepy feeling that there's a maniac about to spring out and get me. Or that there's a monster, emerged from the shadows, ready to rip me to shreads. Anyone else feel the same?

2. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Nope, not afraid.

3. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

Nope, I like the dark. I actually feel more secure in the dark.

4. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

I was thinking about starting a thread just like this... Before my daughter was born, I had to sleep in a totally dark room. Even a sliver of light coming under the door would drive me batty (bad pun).

Once my li'l girl started to climb out of her crib/bed, she would occasionally come sleep with us if she had bad dreams. She would need a night light, so we basically just left the door open with a hallway light on.

Fast forward to her turning 8, now she wants to sleep in the dark. However, I have grown so accustomed to having light on, that I'm the one needing a night light !

Turning 40 this year and I'm "afraid" of the dark....

5. Evan Case

Evan Case Screenwriter

Only when I'm alone in the woods and see a werewolf.

Other than that, I don't mind.

Evan

6. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

When I am alone I will not sleep in a totally dark room and I will move through dark areas very quickly. When I am with another person it doesn't bother me as much. It is possible that it has links back to when I was a toddler and got my head caught under the couch while my father was passed out above me in a drunken stupor. My mom came home from the store to find me kicking and screaming trying to get free.

Another trait that probably has links to my childhood is that I prefer to sleep with some kind of background noise (radio, TV, etc). When I was a baby my mom said that they would take me out to the pubs in my little carrying bed. While there I would sleep as long as the band was playing. When the band took a break, I would wake up and cry. Weird, huh?

Kenneth

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    We've been playing too many creepy RPGs on the computer or a console, such as Silent Hill 2. Now dark and moldy hospitals make me freaked out, especially when walking around with a dinky flashlight and a 2x4. [​IMG]
    Jay

8. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Nope. The only thing I'm afraid of is people who are DEEP FRY CRAZY!!!! [​IMG]

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I love the dark. Except when I'm trying to read. And my cat, Attila, prefers the strategic advantage over me that the dark gives him.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Nope. I love the dark, not as much as light though, but I cannot go to sleep unless the room is pitch black.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

I never have a problem with the dark except when I am at the bottom of the stairs at my grandmothers house (Even to this day when I am 25).

Guess that it could have something to do with the fact my brother and I used to scare the shit out of each other. One person every so often would be hiding under the stairs, when the other guy turned off the lights and started up the stairs his legs would get grabbed through the stairs. SCARED the livin crap out of me every time :b

Funny thing is that I have to have a completely dark room or I cant go to sleep for the life of me.

KyleS

12. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

No. Not in the slightest bit. Really, I swear!

Bruce

13. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Not at all. I'm quite happy with the pitch black in my home theater room just before the movie comes up.

14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Nope. I love the dark.

15. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    The dark I love! (sorry I was in temporary Yoda mode) When I was a wee lad I used to love creeping about the house in the middle of the night, my poor parents thought the house was haunted until they discovered it was just me creeping about in the dark, and that scared them even more. I used to love sticking my hand under the bed daring some unseen thingy to grab it, I loved that prickly sensation of eerie dread running thru my sweaty trembling body, mmmmm I'm turning myself on here.[​IMG]
    SIGNATURE PHOTO OF CREEPING MEMBER REMOVED

16. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Darkness per se doesn't bother me, but I live in an apartment with a room mate. The problem arises when I want to listen to music on my headphones fairly loud and he's not home. I'll be sitting there in the living room in total darkness with my eyes closed...I can't seem to fight the feeling that he will come home at any minute and walk up and touch me on the shoulder or something and scare the crap outta me [​IMG]

17. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I'm not afraid of the dark. However, I am afraid of the things that hide in the dark......huh, what was that? Aahhhgggg!!!!!

18. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

19. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

I love the dark. However, the only exception is when I have to go downstairs to turn on the lights. I absolutely HATE having to do that. It scares me to death. I dunno why.

20. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Gotta stick with the dark lovers here. I used to not mind it either way - then we moved to our apartment a year ago and the parking lot lights are like mini-suns...

So, I got one of those blackout sheets and since then, wow, I cant sleep in anything but total darkness (unless my "insomnia" is acting up, the daylight is ok). But I think its really crazy...whenever I go home and no one turns out the hallway light it drives me up the wall...any light coming under the door drives me crazy! It was never this way before college.

JQ