What's new

Are you a "two spacer"? (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Of all the arguments I've seen and considered over the years, this is one I never saw coming. It never dawned on me that there was even another choice.

Born, bred, trained, and beaten into me since the dawn of the manual typewriter I am a 2 spacer and unlikely I'll ever be different -- like Morgan Freeman's

comment near the end of Shawshank about asking permission to take a leak.

Ricardo OTOH gives a great visual and belly filling laugh for best post of the thread.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Originally Posted by Keith Plucker

Monospace font, two spaces after punctuation, with a proportional font one space is used. As far as I know, as long as proportional fonts have been around, this has always been the proper way to do it.

Not really. A computer's "proportional font" does nothing but simulate a standard hand-set type face, in which the letters are all different widths. Typewriters use letters all the same width because of mechanical limitations. If you take a look at a good hand-set (or, indeed, Linotype) book, you will find that the spaces between sentences are about twice as broad as those between words, even where the absolute widths of the spaces vary from line to line (justification).

You cannot be hurt by following Fowler's Modern English Usage in default of other guides. In addition to double-spacing after full stops, he employs a single-width space before a colon or semicolon, & a double-width space afterwards. He also appears to use a single space after an open quotation mark, & before a close one, but I generally find this unnecessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks