What's new

Are you a "Pause" button abuser? (1 Viewer)

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I am one of those people who wants to sit through and entire movie without interruption if at all possible. If a movie is good enough, it should engross you to that point.

My wife is always asking to pause to get up and do this or that. It is almost like a silent commercial interruption. :angry:

It is a good thing I love her so much. :laugh:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i love the pause button.
one of the many reasons i love to watch movies in my home theater and not at a theater.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Pausing isn't so bad. What bothers me most of all is when my housemate gets up to rummage through the kitchen during a movie's last act! The finale of the film, where everything is culminating, deserves much more respect. That really bothers me. I am not bothered by the same actions during the beginning or middle of a film.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Not nearly as bad as watching movies while your lady is text messaging friends on her damn cell phone!!!

I sometimes want to flush that thing down the toilet! The most offensive of movie disturbances... the theater is one thing but in my own home! We got into a MAJOR argument about this a few weeks ago while watching the remake of The Killers. Three quarters of the way in I just start to hear this constant clicking sound and look over to see her typing away on her cell phone as if it were a keyboard. I turned the movie off and refused to put it back on. In fact, just thinking about this angers me!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
In my house you'd better be on fire if you hit pause during a movie we haven't seen. (In fact, turning on a light gets you a hairy eyeball.)

Slightly more leeway is given for re-viewings. And only two lashes if the pausing occurs during the opening credits (for instance, you forgot the salsa for your chips).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Yeah, I'm a total pausaphile. With a family of six (seven if you count the dog), it's impossible to watch anything without multiple interruptions.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I try not to pause things, but it rarely works out that way. If it's something I've never seen before, I put a little more effort into not stopping it, but if it's a movie I've seen before, I usually don't hesitate to pause it if the situation calls for it. Afterall, one of the great things about watching movies at home is that you don't have to miss five minutes of the film if you need to use the bathroom or grab food.

Though I have roommates and often watch films with them, practically every week I end up watching a movie or two on my own somewhere around 2am, and during those screenings I rarely have a need to hit pause.

I think constant texting during the movie is far worse than pausing...I've certainly been guilty of it to a certain degree, but unlike some people, I realize that even if the phone is set to silent mode, pressing the keys to type makes noise and the phone vibrating instead of ringing makes noise too.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
In order to have time to watch movies, I have to multi-task e.g. since my theatre room is in the basement, I'm usually folding laundry at the same time as watching the movie. So, I guess I would be a pause button abuser, but since this is DVD we're talking about, I'll usually hit stop to prevent burn-in. Thank you, resume function!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Neither my wife nor I have EVER sent a text message. And the only one either one of us has even received is "Manny! Manny! Manny!" sent by a buddy of mine when Manny Ramirez hit a walk-off home run in a playoff game the other day.

I let it slide, but only because I wasn't watching a movie at the time. ;)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I use the pause button often. I mostly use it when I'm getting something to eat or drink. I have used it under other circumstances, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And I'm sure many of us on here have as well.;)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Amen to that! I don't mind pausing if people need to use the facilities or get more food/drink, but those who just come and go at random points during the film, or seem to be phobic about sitting thru the opening credits (where there is often background info to set up the main story), drive me nuts. My mother is a prime example of the credit thing, and if you pause it she'll yell, "you don't have to pause it!"

Between this, and my stepfather contantly falling asleep and snoring during every-single-movie, then they wonder why I don't invite them to watch more often. :rolleyes

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
...and then there's friends or relatives who have to provide a live running commentary or ask you things like "who do you think the killer is?"

I'm like "why don't we let the movie tell us when it's ready?"

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Pause button? Occasionaly. But what really chaps my hide is people who wont shut the hell up. Get this through your thick heads - you are NOT as witty as Tom, Crow, Mike and Joel - so please have a tall glass of Shut the F Up!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
only since moving. My old apartment was great, I could go to the kitchen, answer the door, even sit on the toilet all the while watching the TV.

It was awesome man. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks