What's new

Are You A Ketchup Nut? (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Love tomatoes, hate catsup. Eat them like apples.

If I want condiments, I grab a bottle of Tapatio. Tapatio goes wherever catsup used to.

This is Southern California's catsup

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I LOVE ketchup on filet mignon! What does the price have to do with anything? Filet mignon tastes different than a hamburger, so that analogy doesn't make any sense.

That would be like telling someone not to drink a soda with their steak dinner because Cola is cheap.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Although, I've never been a big steak fan, so I need some sort of 'encouragement' to eat it. I like the taste of the meat, but I hate the taste of the grilling. The sweetness of the ketchup helps me deal with the bitterness of the charcoal-taste.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'd hafta say, if the steak is bitter, it ain't been done right.

Of course, I'm from Alberta, and a HUGE steak fan, so I could be suffering from mad-cow as we speak. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh no, not the bitterness of the steak, the bitterness from the grilling (i.e. the dark parts that taste like charcoal). I usually order it Medium to avoid the dark parts, but sometimes it's hard to have it cooked and not have those parts.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I love ketchup. Always have. I'll put it on eggs, pasta, hamburg, baked beans, french fries and hash browns, sausage, ham steaks, and regular steaks if I don't have any A-1 Sauce. Something weird I like doing is cooking up a bunch of pasta and scrambling hamburg, then mixing ketchup and cheese in with the pasta and hamburg. Boy does it taste good, though it probably sounds gross.

ToddS

Stunt Coordinator
I like ketchup but I think adding mayo to the equation is awesome especially on hashbrowns and my dad would eat banana and mayonaise sandwiches and sometimes add peanut butter.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Love tomatoes, love ketchup.

I order my steak rare, extra rare if they'll serve it that way. No sauce, nothing. The lone exception is prime rib, and I'll eat it with au jus and horseradish.

My family's recipe for fried rice has ketchup as the cooking ingredient. And yes, it tastes good.

But in all honesty, I much prefer Heinz 57.

One of my favorite after drinking/getting trashed meals is the one I always get at Waffle House.

Triple Hashbrowns all the way. I then put a little ketchup, some Heinz 57, and some garlic-flavored tobasco sauce on top. What can I say? I'm a human garbage can. :D

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't ketchup originally supposed to be a fish sauce??

Anyway, I'm not really a ketchup kinda guy. I'll use a little on a hot-dog or a hamburger, but thats about it. French-fries get gravy (Some say this is Canadian, I say Irish
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
), mayo, or barbecue sauce. A proprer Steak gets nothing but its own bloody drippings. Or bleu cheese if I happen to be at Applebees ,Who are forced to cook things at least medium :rolleyes:[freudian thingy](Back in highschool I had the biggest crush on a girl that would eat raw meat outa the plastic-wrap.)[/freudian thingy]

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

That's why you don't eat steak at Applebee's. You eat chicken fingers. :)

Since people mentioned filet mignon, I'll add my two cents. I can't stand it. It's the most bland piece of meat out there, and I've had it at good places too. Give me a New York Strip or fat-marbled ribeye any other day.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
Filet Mignon, the most tender piece of meat. The problem is people tend to eat it too cooked. Medium rare for me, please. If it is from a young deer, I just barely turn it on a pan, very tender and doesn't need more than that. The more tender it is, the less you need to cook it and the more tastier it is.

New York Strip, Ribeye are both way too fatty for me. Hardly any good meat in between the fat to eat. Decent if you bbq them on a grill but still not much to eat.

The best steak I've had was a reindeer file mignon, hands down. With red wine sauce and creamy garlic potatoes.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Personally, I prefer my steak to be waved around in a warm room and slapped on the plate. Okay, not always, but if I trust the restaurant, I'll order it blue-rare. Yum. And no... no ketchup.

Is that before or after "getting trashed" Dome? :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys, but I gotta derail the thread back to ketchup ;)

I thought I was the only one like this, but my friend is the same way, so I'm seeing if anyone else out there is like this...

I LOVE ketchup on almost everything. I can dunk a fry in ketchup and load it on a burger till it's dripping wet, but for the life of me, I can not STAND ketchup alone! Even if there is a tiny drop of it on my hand, I can't lick it off. It's the weirdest thing. I can have 10 times as much ketchup on a burger, but without the burger, I can't even stand the smell of ketchup.

I know, weird? And if the ketchup has been deluted in water (i.e. if you're cleaning a plate with a mound of ketchup and it gets all over your hands), forget it! I'll get nauseous.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I have no problem licking ketchup off my hand, because typically its not like I have a big glob of it on my hand...that I might find gross.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I think I might have to return to not-speaking-to-Mark, because that's just weird. ;)

PS - Love the new sig Mark. :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I've eaten at "The House" sober before. And yes, it still tastes good.

When I'm trashed, I order a breakfast sandwich and pancakes in addition to the triple hashbrowns. Think of Homer in hell when he eats doughnuts. :)

The only thing I can think of that Ketchup doesn't go well with is chocolate.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I know. It even weirds me out. Although I do have other weird food things that are similar. Like, I'll eat onions on a burger, I love onion rings, I'll even eat them in stir fry's and in soups, etc. but I can't stand them in salad or on pizza. Anything else is usually fine with me.

I know people have mentioned putting ketchup on eggs (which I love), but have you ever run across those who think it's an odd thing to do? I run into a lot of people who have never even heard of it! :eek: I always thought ketchup on eggs was as common as ketchup on a burger?

And speaking of those who think it's not aceptable to put ketchup on a steak, but it's ok to on a burger...those in CT will know that if you go to "Louis Lunch", where the hamburger was born (or at least it's one of a few places they've narrowed it down to), and you ask for ketchup on your burger, they'll yell at you pretty loudly. They get VERY offended if you put ketchup on a burger. :D

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I have a weird food thing. I like Maccaroni and chese, and I eat pizza that has chese on it but other than that I don't like or eat chese. I also can't have just a chese pizza there's got to be something else on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks