Are You A Ketchup Nut?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Joe S, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Joe S

Joe S Second Unit

I was talking about this with someone the other day and thought it would be interesting to see if others share my "affliction".

Ever since I was very young, I always had to have ketchup on all types of meat and eggs. That might not be too unusual, but they say a good steak should be tasty on it's own and would be ruined by adding ketchup. When I order a steak at a restaurant, I order the fries instead of baked potato so I can have the ketchup for the steak too.

Anyone else do this or enjoy ketchup on unusual foods?

2. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Count me in. :b Ketchup for everything, eggs, hashbrowns, corned beef hash, meatloaf, breakfast sandwiches, brats (sometimes), just to name a few. I used to put on steaks, but then I learned how to grill em good and they don't require it like my parents overcooked dry steaks used to. My friends give me endless grief for my "ketchup abuse" as they call it. [​IMG]

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Please order a nice steak at a reputable steak house (done no more than "medium") and try it without ketchup.
    Perhaps with a nice Cabernet or Merlot? [​IMG]

I was horrified when I was eating with friends and one of the guys ordered a filet mignon, well done, and then proceeded to cut it into bite-sized pieces, dunking each one in ketchup. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I mean, why not just order a burger if you are going to do that to a $20+ cut of meat?! [​IMG]

After all that, I tend to use ketchup sparingly on burgers and dogs. On the rare occasion I eat fries, I usually keep them dry--ketchup overpowers the taste and changes the texture.

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

The only thing I really eat ketchup on is anything made of patatoes, save baked. Too much ketchup, though, and it becomes revolting.

Over the past couple of years, though, I have become a horseradish nut. Every time I have any kind of meat, I usually want to have horseradish with it. Hell, I'd eat horseradish by itself if I had enough bottles of it.

5. Joe S

Joe S Second Unit

I have ordered a medium-rare filet and eaten part of it without ketchup- I do think the right amount of ketchup enhances the flavor somewhat.

I tend to do it discreetly, I have the ketchup next to the steak and fries and can quickly dip a piece of steak in it without anyone noticing.

I even like a bit of ketchup on barbeque ribs.

I think the best ketchup is the A&P store brand "Ann Page". Unfortunately there are no more A&P stores in my immediate area.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I've heard of walnuts and peanuts, but never ketchup nuts. Are they salty? [​IMG]

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I usually only use it on burgers and hot dogs, and of course french fries, but other than that, not much else do I cover in Ketchup.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Love ketchup, hate tomatoes. Go figure.

9. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Actually, the same is true for me, I didn't mention that in my first post but its true.

10. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

My son's fiancee showed up for our Thanksgiving meal with her own bottle of Heinz Ketchup. She was afraid that we wouldn't have Heinz for her to put on the turkey! She refused to eat any other kind of ketchup.

However, she did not like it on steak. Her method of cooking a steak would make me cringe. She would take the finest cut of Angus NY Strip, throw it in a skillet with a 1/4 inch of oil, coat it vigously with garlic salt, cover the pan, and cook it on low heat for 30 minutes per side!

Mmmmmmmmmm (NOT!)

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    My father eats it on everything, including baked potatoes when we eat out. Of course this is also a man who, eating at a chinese restaurant, cannot eat a single piece of food that hasn't been doused in Duck Sauce. [​IMG]

I don't like ketchup, but frequently substitute barbecue sauce (KC Masterpiece) in many ketchup situations, like with fries, meatloaf, or hamburgers.

12. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Ditto.

13. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

ketchup on all meat yes, on eggs, no.
    my dad eats ketchup, provolone, and baloney sandwhiches, blech.

it's not bad, but MAN does it smell bad, he used to use aged provolone that's been hanging in the basement for a year, smells like dirty socks.

I also like heinz 57 cut with ketchup, about a 50/50 blend. Worcheshire works too..

14. Tony_Woods

Tony_Woods Stunt Coordinator

I despise Ketchup, I like my burgers w/ just meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato. Fries with just salt, and hot dogs, with cheese, chili, or plain. Ketchup on steak? Blasphemy! [​IMG]

15. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

I love ketchup. Not quite a nut, but a recent acquisition may push the envelope.

The item in question: Habanero Lime Ketchup from Sgt. Pepper's Hot Sauce, P.O. Box 49565, Austin, TX, 78765.

Imagine your favorite ketchup, but with a happy habenero kick and a hint of lime. Super awesome with fries or a burger. I love it and worth every penny ordering.

If you enjoy hot stuff, this ketchup is a very worthwhile condiment.

16. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

Me too. I like just about everything that has tomatoes in the recipe, but have tomatoes by themselves.

Count me in as an ketchup-on-all-meat person. My wife bought some aged filet mingons the other day and I have no problem putting a litle steak sauce and and ketchup on it!

17. Chazz_S

Chazz_S Supporting Actor

Ketchup doesn't even really taste like tomato, so liking ketchup and not tomatoes isn't really that far of a stretch.

I like ketchup on any sort of fried potato- hash browns, fries etc. I like it on a burger too. That's about it. Not really a 'nut'.

18. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

GAH! Way to wreck a nice provolone. With baloney? GAH! [​IMG]

Actually, my Dad used to eat pickle, cheese and ketchup sandwiches. No bread though. He just sliced a gherkin in half, slapped some cheese on it and some ketchup. *shudder* (I hate pickles)

19. Philip_T

Philip_T Supporting Actor

Interestingly enough, I just had a ketchup conversation with a co-worker who stated that she loves ketchup on her plain Lay's potato chips. Weird.

I think Im gonna be sick[​IMG]

20. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Love tomatoes, don't like ketchup. I very rarely use ketchup for anything, including fries (use blue cheese dip for them if available). Fries aren't regulars in my diet anyway.

Filet Mignon with ketchup? Yikes! Filet Mignon should be served with a good steak sauce on the side. Not A1 or similar but a good red wine, garlic, pepper, gocnac sauce etc. Too bad you can't find them very often in the American kitchen.