Are you a cell phonies?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, Apr 20, 2005.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

As cell phone conversations have permeated public space, so have fake cell phone conversations. I just read an interesting article about this in the Oakland Tribute. In one survey done by a professor at his school, more than _ of this students have fake conversations for various reasons.

Some stage calls to avoid contact - neighbors, co-workers, supervisor, panhandlers, Girl scouts selling cookies, ect…

Some to impress those aroud them

Some men do it to check out women

Some men do it to take pictures of women

Some men do it to get women [​IMG], waiting just the right moment to approach them without looking like a dork just standing there.

Women converse to avert unwanted approaches by men

Some people do it to look popular or less loner as they walk about

A salesman admitted that he pretends to be on the phone when a potential problem customer comes in and a lawyer finishing up a conference call as she walks in late to her office. Some people even program their phone to call them.

Then the article finishes off with expert cell phonies giving tips on how to do it right [​IMG].

Cell phone is indeed a powerful antisocial tool. Ironic.

I got to admit. I hate seeing people walking around and driving while using their cell phones. I walked by a restaurant today where 6 young men came out of a restaurant and immediately, 4 of them pull out their cell phones. I had to look up at the sky to make sure that the sky is not falling [​IMG]. Then I had to force myself through them while they became mindless cell phone dorks blocking the walkway.

2. James T

James T Screenwriter

Some security people that work in clubs/gyms/concrets/places where cell phones are banned, where they seize the cell phones say that some of them are dummy phones.

The article may have forgotten fashion. Even if the person is just pulling out his phone to talk, it's still a fashion statement.

3. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I wear my bluetooth headset in my car just so I can talk to myself. :b

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I do it to avoid conversations with others, I usually don't like to chit-chat with others in grocery lines and things of that nature.

5. DustinLC

Okidoki.....

I wasn't expecting confessions.....[​IMG].

6. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Wait a sec I got an incoming call.[​IMG]

7. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have to walk by a methadone clinic on my way to my car every night. I will often fake the cell phone call to avoid having to talk to those who hang out in the alley way, pestering people for change.

8. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

never done it. i guess i'm one of the few rude people in the world left who will walk away from you if i don't want to talk to you.

kevin t

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Well I'm not a cell-phonie. That just sounds retarded. Who would possibly be impressed by someone talking on the phone?

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

No fake cell phone stuff for me. I use it to keep in touch, and that's it.

11. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Make that two! Learned at my father's knee traveling to work with him on the Boston T when I was a youngin'. He (like me) generally did not like people and ignored them in public. Like him, I only have a very few close friends and never talk to strangers no matter how much they talk to me (unless they are good looking women, both myself and Dad made this exception!).

12. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I've never even thought about doing that. Figures it would be a west coast paper that publishes this. Us people on the east coast are in too much of a hurry to fake a call. Seriously though, can you link us to the article?

13. DustinLC

I couldn't find it online. I read it in the newspaper. I pretty much summarized it.

I certainly don't think it's cool or a fashion statement. I could understand that view if it was several years ago but even pan handlers have cell phones these days [​IMG]. Very few high schoolers don't it. When I go out, I make an effort to hide my cell phone.

14. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

15. DustinLC

A diffrerent article but same idea.

16. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

It's one thing to be nuisance when talking on a cell phone in public, but to pretend to be a nuisance on purpose, Wow!