What's new

Are wood speaker stands ok?? (1 Viewer)

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Are they good or are steal ones better?? I was looking at thesebut I am not sure if I should get wood ones or not. I have some now that are just a single steal tube (which is ok) but the base is ugly it looks like I but the back bar is a little wider. I have a gift card to BB and they have these stands thats why I was looking at them.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I used to own the 16" version of these, then went to adjustable metal stands. AFAIK, these are made of MDF, not wood, which is a good thing. I'm not sure if wood would be a very good choice for speaker stands. IMO MDF would be better, as it's much more inert, and many speaker cabinets are made of MDF anyway.

P.S. I think these are available for quite a bit cheaper online, if you want to use your gift certificate for something else. Try Yahoo Shopping, I've seen several stores selling Sanus stands.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The MDF stands can be great if they are heavy and solid. Metal ones can ring if they aren't filled with sand. If you get wood/mdf ones, just be sure they are solid and have good floor spikes.

What kind of speakers will they be used for?

If they are very good/expensive speakers, I would suggest more solid stands. But for simple budget bookshelf speakers these stands should be fine.

You can also build your own if you wish, it's bot too difficult, and you can finish it any way you want.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
They are for my B&W 602's and then the 601's would go on a taller stand for the rears. I havent gone and looked at them yet so I dont know how heavey they are....as for building some myself...hahahaha umm that would not look good at all:D

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
So was yours sturdy?
The MDF was inert, as expected, but the stand was a little wobbly, probably from having been taken apart and re-assembled too many times (I bought it used). I filled the holes with wood putty and screwed everything back together after that, and since then it was as sturdy as I could want.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Mark, I found those speaker stands you want for less. Go to yahoo.com and click on shopping. Then search for the sanus speakers stands. The bf24b is priced at 39.99.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i have some wood stands that i bought from circuit city. they're holding my polk's with no problem. i guess my stands are about 24". my speakers are about 32" tall. they don't feel wobbly or anything.

i think the main benefit from getting stands will be that it'll raise the speaker off he floor...getting the tweeter closer to ear-height.

it made quite a difference in my sound...i'm really glad i got them.

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I am trying to see what I can spend it on other than movies. I already have a set of stands...they are just not the greatist looking I think. I like the full botto, look of the Sanus from BB.

Pat K

Stunt Coordinator
From being in car audio for a long time, I'm quite familiar with MDF. Its the preferred material for sub boxes. But sometimes its really hard to find, many places require special order.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks