What's new

Are we ready for an "As It Happened" DVD of 9/11? (1 Viewer)

DanHaya

Second Unit
I don't mean to sound disrespectful to those who lost loved ones on September 11, but I would really like one of the networks to release a video of their live and unedited broadcasts from 9/11. I think it's important to have as a record of the actual events for posterity...and to show to our children in the future.
My question is...are we ready for it, and will one of the networks oblige us? And if not, are there other ways to get a tape of those hours? I know there are 9/11 DVDs already on the market or on the way, but that's not what I'm interested in here.
There is a website (www.televisionarchive.org) that is trying to provide streaming video of those hours, but they don't seem to have enough bandwidth right now.
Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Still, though, these events define our times. I would like to have a balanced, lengthy documentary at least--one unfettered by an agenda (which ruined CBS's 9/11 for me), simply looking at the day from the perspective of nearly a year later. It's a significant historical event, so there is no "disrespect" involved.

Dave Anderson

Second Unit
There's always stuff like this floating around on the Internet.

I downloaded the Howard Stern show from that day and the day after (he did actually broadcast on 9/12) in .MP3 format. Like him or hate him, he provided some excellent coverage of the events that day. I think the building they broadcast from is about 6 blocks from the World Trade Center site, plus they had "Crazy Cabbie" calling in from the street on 9/11.

I tell you, everytime I listen to his show from 9/11 I get the chills. They were even saying on air that they bet Osama bin Laden was involved.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I am dying to know who was the very first broadcaster to refer to the WTC site as "Ground Zero."

DanHaya

Second Unit
Rich, that's part of the reason why I started thinking about this and asking myself "when will it be appropriate?". I realized a couple of days ago that the one year anniversary is less than two months away. That got me thinking about what kind of tributes we will be seeing. I don't mean to trivialize what happened, but since I was at work when everything happened, I wasn't able to see the live coverage until I got home in the evening. I would like to see that coverage, and I would like to see it in its live, raw state because it is an important historical event.

I have a similar recording of the Challenger tragedy. I saw the shuttle blow up with my own eyes (albeit from across the state). Luckily, my mom was home and I called her and told her to pop a tape in the VCR and press Record.

These are things that I would like to show my children when they are old enough. It's history...tragic history, but history nonetheless. I wasn't asking out of some sick, sadistic fascination with 9/11, but as someone who wants a historical record of it.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Dan, I totally get where you're coming from. I just reacted because there was a guy on this forum wondering the same thing, only it was about 2 weeks afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks