What's new

Are we overrating movies? (1 Viewer)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Well, I must be insane as well because I wasn't much moved by LOTR either. A good movie to be sure, but way overrated by many. Of course, I've never been big on fantasy, so that might have something to do with it.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
You mean that I am not the only one on the HTF that was "underwhelmed" by LOTR? :eek:
I may very well wind up buying LOTR on DVD simply because the sound quality was astounding. It wasn't a bad movie, but I do think that it is an example of a movie that is touted as "great" that probably should, at most, be considered "good".
Of course, that brings us back to the definition of overrated and underrated. I think LOTR gets too much praise. But, just because others like it more than I do, does that really mean it is overrated? Not necessarily, but in this case, I think so! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

To you, sure. Now before anyone starts sending bad mojo my direction, I thought LOTR was good, better than 90% of the stuff out there. I don't dislike Fantasy, in fact, one of the best parts of this year was finding out how good Legend actually is when edited properly. I don't think there is all that much good fantasy, though.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
But, just because others like it [LOTR] more than I do, does that really mean it is overrated? Not necessarily, but in this case, I think so!
I think so, too. :) However, I do give Peter Jackson credit for distilling a much-loved-but-cultish novel into a movie palatable for the masses. I can also see the appeal that LOTR has for so many people. As for myself, in addition to not being into fantasy, I've never been able to get into the "fanboy" mentality regarding anything, Star Wars included. BTW, in this particular instance, I'm not using "fanboy" in a derogatory manner. :)
Now one movie that I do think is greatly overrated is Gladiator. The appeal of that movie completely escapes me. :confused: Badly-edited battle scenes and a trite, uninvolving plot. What a snooze-fest.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Some movies are known to be great the moment they come out -
Gone With the Wind
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Godfather
Others were seen as 'ok' or even popular when they came out, but were not observed by most as 'great' until years after -
It's a Wonderful Life
Dr. Strangelove
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I think this is where the 'underated' term comes in. The theory is that a movie may be great, but the greatness is not immediately perceived by many, because they either never saw it, or thought it was just ok at the time they first saw it. Upon viewing in later years, their assessment of it has changed.
All movies are made to make money, or they aren't made.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks