What's new

Are we mad? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I took a so-called film class at Sacramento State several years ago (before DVD was out, but I was still a laserdisc snob) where we watched several movies on VHS on a very bad projection system- the black and white movies all looked blue-tinted. The VCR was hooked up to a stereo speaker system but it was still mono; the only movie we watched that was done in stereo and available in widescreen on laserdisc was "Black Robe", I commented that it looked like a good movie but the presentation didn't do it justice. The teacher always shut off the end credits, which I chastised him for, and I often corrected him in the middle of lectures. He even suggested we go see movies at Sacramento's 'art' theater, which unfortunately is still open, which is an old tri-plexed theater with mono sound in 2 of its auditoriums.
One movie I wrote a paper on was "After Hours", in which I mentioned I was watching it on laserdisc, and the teacher wrote "Lucky duck!" next to it, I thought that was pretty funny.
We had a class evaluation at the end, and I made several comments about how it was a disservice to show sub-par movie presentations in class and to recommend bad theaters. One question was "Do you have any suggestions on film to show in this class in the future" and I wrote "Not on this equipment!"
This was still nothing compared to high school where we were forced to watch movies on mono VCRs; I always just went to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks