What's new

Are we ever going to see The Sting in it's OAR? (1 Viewer)

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm sure this has been discussed before but why in the world are we stuck with a full frame only version of this great movie? I believe I even saw a widescreen VHS version of this film at one time. I believe the OAR is 1.85:1. Universal doesn't appear to have any immediate plans to revisit this title. I'll be holding off until The Sting is presented in anamorphic widescreen and a load of extras as it deserves.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've no doubt universal will eventually present this as a collector's edition at 1.85:1. Why this hasn't been done already for so celebrated a film is a mystery. Maybe the studio is simply witholding some of their top titles so they'll have something to release in the years to come besides a seventh edition of PATCH ADAMS and NOTTING HILL.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'm very happy to be corrected on this, but wasn't The Sting shot in Academy ratio and then reframed to be shown in 1.85 in cinemas (sorry, there's a technical term for this, but I can't recall it)?

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I was also under the impression that the current dvd is open-matte, not pan & scan.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
We need widescreen anamorphic Special Edition DVDs of THE STING, CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG, and BABE.
Come on Universal and MGM, what's taking you so long?

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Sting was just on TCM tonight in all of
its widescreen glory. And matted or not, it sure looks
elegant and gorgeous widescreen.
Has anyone heard if this is coming in
an OAR version in the near future?
I hate to sound whiny, but damn...I really ache for this
film in my DVD collection.
I don't want to break down, fall to the darkside, and
go get it, but there is always a stack of them just down
the street from me at the local DVD retailers.
"Come on Mark, buy me. I won't tell anyone you broke
the OAR pledge."
"NO! I must resist! You're beautiful, but you are MAR!"
Oh, the humanity!
PS: and what is up with Universal and Death Becomes Her?
That is the other Universal title where I
just scratch my head because of the 1.33:1 DVD...and I
long for that one too, though the pain is not as acute.
Mark

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Everytime I see this DVD in a store, I pick it up with the intent of purchasing it.

Everytime I see that the DVD is Pan&Scan, I drop it back in the rack. I'll wait years for the widescreen release if I have to.

My days of buying FullFrame ANYTHING is over....

Lone Wolf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnny B
I read waaay back (I think it was a Studio Day report from a couple of years ago) that Charles Kiselyak (he produced the Oliver Stone Box Set and did Laserdisc Special Editions of 'Amadeus' and 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' amongst other titles that escape me at the moment...) had already made a documentary to accomodate an 'upcoming' special edition release of 'The Sting'. So if the doco's in the can and maybe a transfer has been completed can they just be waiting for an appropriate marketing window? Y'know 2003 is the 30th anniversary...

Johnny B.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
TCM played it last night in it's OAR. They are the only cable station to play films in thier OAR.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
TCM is not the only one, but they are the only one to do so consistently. FMC does a better job than AMC which is almost always p&s and edited for language etc.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
AMC is now All Morons Channel.

They aired the restored My Fair Lady and Vertigo panned & scanned, plus will rarely air anything in OAR or uncut now.

Add the fact that their selection is just another HBO, with commercials, it's a totally unwatchable channel now. They don't air films made before 1950 that often and they NEVER air silents anymore.

Turner Classic Movies, though, is highly reccomended.

I know I'm doing a shameless plug, but TCM is the most movie buff-friendly channel out there. Not only do they try to show OAR whenever possible (99% of their programming is OAR, with exceptions always going for licensed films from other studios only.)

It's the only OAR-only, commercial free, uncut, movie channel there is. I'm sure many were surprised to find Papillon and The Blue Lagoon uncut and in OAR on TCM.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
i also wanna see logans run, james bond movies and the graduate on tcm in widescreen and uncut if possible. what is so bad about Papillon and The Blue Lagoon to make it nessassary to be uncut. they play newer movies also, "sleepless in seatle, and the age of innocence" in oar and uncut, a film dvd fans dream come true

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Papillon has a VERY long scene at the end with...
naked women natives
The Blue Lagoon has
Full frontal male and female nudity nearly throughout, plus many intercourse scenes
AMC censored Papillon and showed the P&S print before WB moved the rights to most of their post-1950 Warner-owned films to TCM. Nearly all of TCM's masters are from laserdisc transfers, with a few for DVD (many Film Preservation Associates transfers)
Sadly, Cinemax picked up March rights for Ben-Hur, so TCM couldn't air the 2.76:1 print they had...Cinemax showed the remastered DVD version panned & scanned. :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks