Are we enjoying our Fantasy jazz SACDs?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mike Broadman, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Listened to Art Pepper + Eleven last night. My first exposure to the album, so I have no other versions to compare it to. But it sounded pretty good to me.

The music is lots of Parker and Miles tunes and the "eleven" in the titles refers to the big band on it. The tunes get Pepper's signature elegant stamp on it. It's nice to see him taking on some of my favorite material with a grand arrangement. On 'Round Midnight, though, I wouldn't have minded if the orchestra would shut up and let Art play. Other than that, the band is integrated real well in the arrangements, playing tight sometimes quick lines and not always the traditional drone or lush filler sound.

If not for SACD, I probably would have never gotten into Pepper having unfairly dismissed him as "west coast."

I also got Rollins' Tenor Madness and Kelly Blue (Wynton Kelly Trio). Will try to listen to them ASAP. Along with Relaxin', my sis got them for me at Tower.

I'm still dying to hear the Burrell/Coltrane disc, Shaft, and most especially the Quintet. Will be visiting Red Trumpet today...

Other SACDs I got:

Anne-Sophie Mutter- Beethoven concerto and romances
    The Beethoven violin concerti are great pieces in the hands of a competent soloist and this is the concerto I'm most familiar with. I need to listen to it a few more times to absorb her version- on first listen, it's nicely played if a bit romanticised.

Sam Cooke- live at the Coppa (haven't listened to it yet)

Ritche Valens- a fun listen, but I don't really see much benefit from the SACD here, but then I haven't done a direct comparison between the two layers.

Junior Wells- Come On in This House
    The blues harp legend with guest slide guitarists on a more-acoustic-than-usual-for-him date. Musically great but not earth-shattering in the sound department. Actually, Telarc never seems to really disappoint or impress me. In the SACD department they're... adequate.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I got this on XRCD originally which is also good, but the Super Audio is superb and more detailed plus the usual wider/deeper soundstage.

Great performance overall, lots of energy and they are tight. Recommended. [​IMG]

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I got a bunch of the latest Fantasy releases. The SHAFT is really nice. Burrell & Coltrane is very good. Sell your soul for it if need be! Of the ones I got Leo Kottke is the only one I haven't listened to yet...

You're just getting around to Junior Wells COME ON IN... I like's that one alot.

4. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Um, or I could just order it. [​IMG]

I just placed a big order at eludivedisc which actually didn't include this because I have the XRCD. I'm getting the Quintet (my most anticipated SACD in a long time), Shaft, another Art Pepper, CCR and Cannonball.

5. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Well, from what tracks I've listened to, I am certainly enjoying them. However, I've been on a bit of a CD buying tear as of late, so my purchase-to-listening ratio is a bit of kilter. Out of the Fantasy SACDs I've bought (Art Pepper + Eleven, Relaxin', Leo Kottke, Cannonball in San Francisco, Coltrane's Lush Life, Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas, Bill Evan's Portriat In Jazz, Stevie Ray/Albert King's In Session, Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery), I don't think I've had the time to listen to one all the way through!

I wish you hadn't said that! I already have that one on redbook CD and have been holding off on replacing my redbooks with SACDs until I bought all of the new Fantasy releases I didn't have at all. However, seeing as how that is one of my favorite Burrell CDs (along with "Midnight Blue"...highly recommended), I may have to breakdown and buy it now. In fact, Burrell's "'Round Midnight" should be sitting in the mailbox at home when I get there.

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Both of those are top-notch. The "rhythm section" in the title of course refers to Miles' rhythm section, the best in the business at the time. Those guys had the greatest swing- I would listen to them back Dick Cheney playing a kazoo, whatever, I don't care who's soloing.

Funny that you go for the SACDs of music you don't have first while I do the opposite- I'm more eager to upgrade titles I'm familiar with and sell off the older versions.

7. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Well, I save the titles that I plan to upgrade for "rainy days"...times when there's nothing new out that interests me and I want to pick up a new SACD.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I listened to Tenor Madness last night. The session is legendary for the Coltrane/Rollins "battle" (though it doesn't sound competitive to me).

Occassionally, during some of the intense moments, the saxes sound a little sharp or bright, but Rollins sounds real pretty on the ballads. And the rhythm section is nice.

9. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The new Lee Ritenour XRCD is quite nice too. It has yet another version of CAPTAIN FINGERS, um, um, good!

10. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

A bit off topic, but Sonny Rollins will be at a small venue here in Atlanta. I'm really looking forward to that show.