What's new

Are Tyan motherboards any good? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Williams

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the process of finding a new board and would like to have dual processors. I am also sticking with AMD so that limits my choices to Tyan and Asus. I have an Asus now and it is great, but how about Tyan. Are they reliable? I have heard good and bad about them, but that's to be expected. Any thoughts or opinions?

Jeff

JohanK

Second Unit
For dual CPUs, I have heard nothing but good things about Tyan. I run an older Tyan Trinity 400 board in an extra computer and it has served me well.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've had two Tyan boards, and had bad luck with both of them.

The BIOS chip went bad on the Tsunami (S1846) Board, a Slot 1 PII/PIII board with the 440BX chipset.

The IDE controller went out on the Tiger 133 (S1834) Board, a dual PIII board with the VIA chipset.

As such, I now use only Asus or Abit boards. Both have been flawless, but I really like the Asus myself. Personal preference, I guess.

Todd

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I've used a Tyan Trinity 400 motherboard and had no problems with it. I'm currently running dual Pentium 3s on an Abit VP6.
A good site for info on dual CPU setups and reviews of some motherboards etc can be found at www.2cpu.com

Users who are viewing this thread