What's new

Are transducers the next HT frontier? (1 Viewer)

Ned

Supporting Actor
Speakers - down to 40hz at best
Subwoofers - down to 15hz at best
Transducer - down to 5hz (claimied)

Maybe the answer isn't multiple subs or massive units like the B-DEAP32, contrabass, B4+ and Everest. Perhaps we should all be running our subs from 80-20hz and then using a Buttkicker from 20-5hz. You can't really hear a pure 20hz tone, it just makes the floor wobble instead. So who cares if a woofer does it or a mechanical piston?

Makes me wonder if I should buy a 2nd SVS or a buttkicker. What do I want to achieve?

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
trans·duc·er ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trns-dsr, -dy-, trnz-)

n.
A substance or device, such as a piezoelectric crystal, microphone, or photoelectric cell, that converts input energy of one form into output energy of another.

Just being technical here but speakers are transducers as well...

Oh, and ya some bass shakers would prolly be a better upgrade then a second SVS in most cases.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
Tim,

we all know he meant tactile transducer.

they arent the next fronteir, they have been around for awhile. they are nice, but they alone cant produce sound. so, in turn, they create vibration, and that doesnt always make for very clean tight bass. its like using your couch as a subwoofer... its not made to make sound.

EDIT: ive used them for around 2 years now. but ive since gotten a nicer sub, and have since disconnected them.

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor

until i read his post, i didn't. from the title and knowing a speaker is a transducer, i thought the thread would be about a new type of speaker/transducer technology.

I bought a second SVS Cylinder and don't regret this decison one bit. The extra intensity that it provides makes it all worthwhile for those bass heavy action sequences. Currently running a PC+ 16-46 with a PC Ultra.

Ned

Supporting Actor
Yes I meant TACTILE :)

Glenn- How big is your room? My room is so small (10x12 and sealed) that I can hit 117-118db on things like the Toy Story 2 intro. Maybe I should add a 16-46CS+ and tune it down to 13hz. I like a good clobbering when I watch movies.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think tactile transducers will ever be a replacement for speakers that can reproduce those lower frequencies as well. Speakers actually move air, make sound, and pressurize. Even if you can't actually hear the lowest frequencies you can still feel them and the pressure due to actual air being moved.

Tactile transducers are an enhancement, not a replacement.

Nhan_H

Second Unit
That's a pretty good idea, Yousaf. Let's form a partnership and buy out all the buttkickers and market these miracle new age products ;)

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes,

I'm looking to purchase a buttkicker GAMER (coming in August I understand) to attach to my chair when I'm gaming. Now I am also going to experiment with music and movies both on my computer and projected on my big screen in the living room. As this device is low output since it's designed for pc use I'm not expecting miracles but for $150 what a great way to get introduced to this technology. If I like what I "feel" then I'll consider purchasing their more expensive Buttkicker LFE for exclusive use on my home theater system. Why am I REALLY doing all this ? Because I live in a duplex apartment and I can't use my HSU VTF-2 anymore since I would seriously annoy my neighbor. I'm currently relying on my sennheiser HD 600s which means my neighbor hears NOTHING which is, you know, neighborly. I'm eager to get the low frequencies back and the tactile transducers seems the ONLY way to go given my current situation. With a pair of headphones on and a Buttkicker rocking my reclining chair (and not my neighbor) I should be able to achieve a great experience. I'll let you dudes know how it turns out in the near future.....

Dudes,

Chester

ps dudes; as for the hemorrhoid idea...why not market directly to the fetish community as a play toy...with a few modifications the Buttkicker could become the Buttlicker...or the Buttwhipper..maybe the Butttripper, Buttstripper..yeah...I like that...the BUTTSTRIPPER

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks