Are those real wood side panels on the JVC HR-S7900U S-VHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 21, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was surfing Crutchfield's web site today when I came across the JVC HR-S7900U S-VHS ($300):
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...RS7900&o=M&a=0
    Are those real wood side panels or just plastic (see pictures at above link)? Either way, they look nice. It's the only JVC S-VHS I've seen with wood side panels, though the replacement for the HR-S9800U isn't out yet. Does anyone know how the 'S7900U stacks up to the legendary 'S7600U? I heard the 'S7800U was a let down.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I saw a 7900 "in the flesh" at GG.
    The side panels are plastic, not real wood.
    As far as the 7800 being a letdown, I think that was solely a matter of perceived build quality, not a degradation of performance. I haven't seen a rash of complaints about broken down 7800s yet.
    I've had a $500 Mitsubishi (don't remember the model number, it was a 98 model), a JVC 9500, 9600, and a new 5900 for the bedroom. The Mits had the quietest operation and gave the impression of having the best build quality, but even the $159 JVC has a better picture while the 9500 and 9600 are phenomenal.
    That $1000 Sony (I think it was discontinued a while back) is probably the ultimate in build quality and high performance, as it should be at the price.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks, Steve. I figured the side panels were plastic. It was too much to expect for a $300 JVC VCR to have real wood side panels. Oh well.
    It is certainly true that most complaints I have read about the 'S7800U surround the lackluster build quality, which also is at issue with the 'S3800 and 'S4800U relative to the previous year's models. I have an 'S4600U, and was appalled when I first saw the 'S4800U at Circuit City. From what I saw, the 'S9800U is similar to the 'S9600U in fit and finish at least.
    I certainly agree that the $1000 Sony unit is a great piece. I believe it was discontinued, but the latest J&R Music World catalog, which I received last week, shows it. Also, Tweeter stores had it earlier this year. I don't know if they still do though.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The side panels contribute mightily to tape path socio-ergonomic, headroom. At one time, many moons ago, JVC used genuine fiberboard. The plastic looks reeler tu mi. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!