1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are those real wood side panels on the JVC HR-S7900U S-VHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 21, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I was surfing Crutchfield's web site today when I came across the JVC HR-S7900U S-VHS ($300):
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...RS7900&o=M&a=0
    Are those real wood side panels or just plastic (see pictures at above link)? Either way, they look nice. It's the only JVC S-VHS I've seen with wood side panels, though the replacement for the HR-S9800U isn't out yet. Does anyone know how the 'S7900U stacks up to the legendary 'S7600U? I heard the 'S7800U was a let down.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I saw a 7900 "in the flesh" at GG.
    The side panels are plastic, not real wood.
    As far as the 7800 being a letdown, I think that was solely a matter of perceived build quality, not a degradation of performance. I haven't seen a rash of complaints about broken down 7800s yet.
    I've had a $500 Mitsubishi (don't remember the model number, it was a 98 model), a JVC 9500, 9600, and a new 5900 for the bedroom. The Mits had the quietest operation and gave the impression of having the best build quality, but even the $159 JVC has a better picture while the 9500 and 9600 are phenomenal.
    That $1000 Sony (I think it was discontinued a while back) is probably the ultimate in build quality and high performance, as it should be at the price.
    ------------------
    Steve S.
    I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Thanks, Steve. I figured the side panels were plastic. It was too much to expect for a $300 JVC VCR to have real wood side panels. Oh well.
    It is certainly true that most complaints I have read about the 'S7800U surround the lackluster build quality, which also is at issue with the 'S3800 and 'S4800U relative to the previous year's models. I have an 'S4600U, and was appalled when I first saw the 'S4800U at Circuit City. From what I saw, the 'S9800U is similar to the 'S9600U in fit and finish at least.
    I certainly agree that the $1000 Sony unit is a great piece. I believe it was discontinued, but the latest J&R Music World catalog, which I received last week, shows it. Also, Tweeter stores had it earlier this year. I don't know if they still do though.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    The side panels contribute mightily to tape path socio-ergonomic, headroom. At one time, many moons ago, JVC used genuine fiberboard. The plastic looks reeler tu mi. Best wishes!
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!