Are they to small?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shane_M, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

Yesterday I picked up a pair of Paradigm Cinema 70's. This morning I hit up the Paradigm site to get more info on them seeing as the guy at the store hardly could remember his name... anyway.

I have an Onkyo TX-DS696, which 100Wx5 @ 8 Ohms. I just noticed that these speakers are only rated from 15-80 watts. Am I looking at a possible issue with the smaller speakers? I'm using them as rear speakers.

Thanks

2. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

I would be careful about turning up the volumne to the moderately extreme with DD/DTS.

Maximum Input power is 40 watts which is continuous power with amp clipping no more than 10% per their specs.
    With 32 watts continuous input they can put out ~102 dB @ 1m or 3.28 ft using the room gain spl. -4 to -6db loss for every doubling of distance = ~96dB at 6.4 ft away.

If you listen around 75dBC reference levels and about 6 ft away from speakers, you should be good to go. That would leave some headroom for max level peaks and still sound good and loud and not burn out voice coils.
    I hope you don't have kids though.

BTW How do they sound to ya? When I auditioned them, they seemed to sound good but the demo room wasn't the greatest.

3. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

They do sound good, I like them more then what I had, which were front bookshelf Cerwins, but I'm wondering if I should bring them back and get the 90's instead.

4. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

Actually that would work for you because the 90s are 2db more sensitive meaning less wattage needed almost half. Those would get you closer to 85db reference if you want. [​IMG]
    For a 3db change = half or doubling of power needed.