What's new

Are They Really Just Subwoofers?!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
Hello fellow members,

Well i have been a member here for a few years now, and i have to say that subwoofers has to be the number one emotional, passionate peice in peoples HT's? Maybe? I never seen threads get heated or debates (countless threads) spark over main speakers, center channels, surrounds speakers only subs. We say the other speakers are important but i guess their not as exciting as subs.

Why do you guy think subs effect some people this way over other speakers or speakers/components?

I and also have seen others post that "they are just subwoofers", and it's all subjective. But i'm starting to think other wise now, maybe, just maybe it something deeper! No pun intended, i'm hoping this will open a civil discussion about our true feelings on subs, no matter what your preference.

What are your thoughts?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I think Garrett hit the nail on the head. It seems that people think the ability of their sub to troll the lower frequencies is directly related to sexual performance :D

Greg Bright

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregory Bright
Well, they are cheaper than a 'Vette. :) OTOH many mid-priced speakers sound pretty decent nowadays. Subs are different animals. Price/performance variables are all over the map. I think the passion is more for value than absolute performance. Do I want a flat 12Hz in my room? You bet! And thanks to passion, performance, value, emotion, and Yankee ingenuity, that will happen sooner than I ever imagined.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I think subs just make the greatest impact- a difference you actually feel. While there are great speakers, your ears seem to become quickly accustomed to a certain sound and we adapt, but with a sub you never quite get use to it and when it kicks in, you always realize it, even when it's down at a low volume. Maybe because it's often just playing nicely in the background and then WHAM! You're hit with it...and then your wife turns to you and you smile :D
Speakers just don't do this for me as often. With speakers I close my eyes and just escape with the music, but the sub, it reminds you it's there all the time and I love the reminder. Until the other living, breathing reminder comes walking in and reminds me that other folks live on the other side of that wall. Apartment life- it stinks :angry:

John S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Jose... Most people that want more impact from there entire system, would be better off just purchasing a much better sub. With HT, it has the single largest impact as long as the rest of the system is anything decent at all.

I'm not as passionate as most I suppose on Subs, I have a sub I am happy with, I have no plans to change it.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I would say that without a doubt (for movies and TV sources) the sub makes the most difference dollar for dollar in a system. The Center is next important, but sub is crucial. With a great sub and a receiver that can set the crossover appropriately, it makes all the other speakers sound twice as good as the lower frequencies are handled with no problem. They can focus on the higher freqs and not try to troll to round out the bass.

I'm a big sub fan. It's a bonus that a good one can shake your house, but even at moderate sound levels it can make a big difference for almost any audio you play on a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks