Are they 'fixing' Dark Angel?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad R, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    I saw the promo spot for the new season of 'Dark Angel' where it hints at her having to fight 'genetically engineered monsters.'
    As if it wasn't already a big enough rip off of Buffy, now the suits have 'fixed' it in an effort to improve ratings.
    I only watched it occasionally las season, but if they've Buffy-fied it, that's the end of that. I only have room in my heart for one Buffy.

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Improving ratings by copying the seriously ratings-challenged "Buffy"? Seems like an odd strategy.
    /Mike

3. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I would hardly call Buffy 'ratings challenged'. For one the show airs on WB, not a major network like Fox or ABC.
    But Chad, I saw the same commercial you did, and thought the very same thing. Although I am hoping the cursed friday night spot will spell cancelled for Dark Angel.
    JQ

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

And now it'll air on UPN...
    I don't like "Dark Angel", but why would you hope that it gets cancelled? If I don't like a show I just don't watch it (like DA), I don't go around hoping it'll get cancelled.
    /Mike

6. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Although I am a SciFi fan, I'm not into the whole "monster" angle on shows. I didn't like it in X-Files, I don't like it in Buffy, and I don't like it in Dark Angel. It's too bad... the show had potential. I'll root for it just for Jessica Alba. But this genetically engineered crap is silly...
    I think they developed the plot too soon. Logan and Max shouldn't have gotten together till at least Season 2-3, etc...

7. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Dark Angel is the most obvious ripoff of Buffy I've seen. I dont even need to layout the similarities becuase they are way to obvious. I think Monsters and Demons were the only thing DA hadnt stolen from Buffy, but it looks like they decided to add that as well. Then to add insult to injury Fox airs the lackluster carbon-copy Dark Angel against Buffys spinoff (and another Fox product) 'Angel'. Hopefully if DA were cancelled it would teach Fox that you cant just copy a critically acclaimed show like Buffy and add a celebrity exec. producer (or whatever Cameron does) and have a hit. But I doubt the lesson will ever get through.
    This is all IMO, ofcourse. [​IMG]
    JQ

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I've never seen "Buffy". What are the similarities between "Buffy" and "Dark angel"? On the surface I don't see any.
    And if there are similarities, how does this make "Buffy" less of a good show (which seems to be what Jason is getting at)?
    /Mike
    ------------------

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Not really sure where the hostility is coming either, but I plan on recording Dark Angel on Fridays (time-shifting) because I liked the 1st season, and will give the 2nd season a fair shot.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The problem with Dark Angel is poor writing, superficial characters, cliche'd TV plots, and cringe-inducing dialog... not the lack of demons and monsters. Even if these additions are nothing more than crass mimicry of the Buffyverse, they won't improve the show anyway. Lameness is lameness. Dark Angel was moronic drivel without monsters; it'll be moronic drivel with monsters.