Are these two disney DVDs valuable?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JeremySt, Nov 2, 2005.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Ive got the 2 disc collectors editions of disney's TARZAN and A BUGS LIFE. Theyre opened, but in fine shape. Are they worth much? Im trying to get a feel for a selling price.

2. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

do a search on ebay. I don't think they'll command tons of $$, but they might fetch more than you paid new.

3. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

The Tarzan 2 Disc is out of print - they replaced it with a one disc that doesn't have all the bonus features.

Bug's Life was rereleased a while back at a lower price point. Doubt its worth a lot, but the right person might bid nicely for the Tarzan one.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I haven't seen them actually command high prices all across the board. Maybe The Little Mermaid or some of the early limited-editions grab a lot in the e-bay market, but many are coming out in deluxe sets witin the next few years, which undermines their worth a little. I'm not going to sell any of mine, even if that means they'll be worthless in a few years. I still watch them.

Disney's market strategy has encouraged a "collector's mentality". They want a panicky rush to pick up limited sets before they return to that mysterious "Disney Vault" -- at least until the next promotion.

Disney's market is "rigged"; because they want to strictly control the availability of their own catalog, they release deluxe sets and tins (sometimes in short supply) first and then "family-formatted" or "special deluxe edition" sets. It's the strategy of a company that is trying simultaneously to maximize its profits and control the perception of its own catalog's manifest "collectibility".

I can think of no other company that has such a cagy relationship with its own legacy.

5. Cory H.

Cory H. Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

..or you could have just said that Disney are capitalist pigs.

Anycrap, "A Bug's Life" is easy to nab @ $10, and you'll get $40-$50 for the "Tarzan" 2 Disk on eBay.

6. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

It works, so it must be true.

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Is the version of Disney's Pinocchio that played Dreamwork's Prince of Egypt worth anything?

(I'm not selling it, but would wonder what it is worth. There is no reference on eBay.)

- Steve

8. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I've never had any luck getting anything for mislabeled discs, of which I've had a couple--I think one I had on eBay sold for $1, though it wasn't any big title (Milestone's The Olive Thomas Collection, played a concert by that dead woman singer whose name starts with an S that I can't think of). Maybe the Disney collectors will bite on it, but I doubt it's big bucks.

9. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Wow, someone on eBay has the Tarzan 2-disc set sealed, listed with a $150 Buy It Now option. Jeez, that's not likely to sell, but my copy is still sealed so I thought that was interesting.

10. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

If your copy of A Bug's Life is the Anamorphic one, it could be worth it to someone who has the non anamorphic version.

11. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

i have been hunting the tarzan 2 disc for some time now...but wouldn't pay more than 35 for it