Are these speakers too good to be true?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin Ward, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

My parents will be wanting their speakers back soon so I need new fronts. I find myself listening to music much more than watching 5.1 movies. Therefore, I'm less concerned with a timbre match and more concerned about a good speaker for stereo sources. Browsing the radioshack Canadian site(not exactly audiophile grade stuff I know)and I found these. Merak MT-150
    I have heard that Merak is a budget line from Axiom. These speakers look like good performance and at $200 Canadian a pair(for the next week)they seem to good to be true. they seem to shaped well for fitting in a corner. Also, would I even need a subwoofer with woofers these large?

2. Justin Ward

Or how about these, I suppose they would be a better choice for my small room and they will be matched with a sub. Merak MB8H

3. EricE

EricE Agent

I've been to Axiom's website tons of times, and I've never seen any of these speakers listed on their site. I've known about Axiom for well over 6 months now, and I've never heard that they make any such budget line. They do however, sell their factory blems at a discounted price right off their website. From the main page, just click on Factory Outlet down towards the bottom.

4. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Too good to be true? No.
    You get what you pay for. They will give you accetable sound, but nothing great.
    In Canada, look for a Paradigm Dealer. (www.paradigm.ca ) Their products are a steal in Canada. A pair of their Mini Monitor bookshelves should be in your pricerange and sound much better than the RatShack ones.

5. Justin Ward

How much can I expect to pay for a pair of Mini-monitors? can they be wall mounted? and would they make good fronts when paired with a sub?

6. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Sorry dude, but you are thinking of Michaura. They are the budget form of Axiom. They are very good for the money. Ubid and ebay usually have them. Look for Michaura m55. When you see them you can tell that they are made by Axiom as they actually look like Axiom speakers. those meraks just look crappy. Those RatShacks ones are not even worth $200 a pair in my opinion. Also, the Michaura can be had for as little as $50 a pair plus shipping if you catch ubid at the right time.
    If you can get the Paradigm minimonitors for $200 a pair, get them. They will blow the Ratshacks away, and probably be better than the Michauras.
    Later

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

The Mini's can not be mounted because of the rear ports and the weight (15lbs ea). But Paradigm has many other offerings that would work for you. Find a dealer and go listen for yourself.

8. Justin Ward

oh yeah I forogt about the rear ports. that means that those rat shack ones wouldn't work either.

9. Dave Simpson

Dave Simpson Second Unit

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Those speakers have paper tweeters. I would actually say they are overpriced garbage.

Minis can be mounted, if you plug the ports. This will reduce low end extension, tighten up midbass a bit, though also reduce sensitivity (I tried it with my Minis). Most Paradigms are at least somewhat sensitive to room placement, so I wouldn't recommend mounting any of them besides the dedicated surrounds.

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Listen to some PSB's and Paradigms [​IMG]