1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are these Paradigm speaker prices fair?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i'm in the beginning phases of upgrade-itis. just out of curiosity, i called up my local paradigm dealer and asked him for some prices on the speakers. this is what he gave me:
    mini-mon: 329
    monitor 3: 399
    monitor 5: 519
    370 (surrounds): 699 yikes! why so much?
    370 (center): 329
    ps-1000: 549
    would you say these prices are fair? i asked him about a discount and he said he'd offer me some sort of package price. personally, i'm gonna shoot for at least 15-percent off.
    at this point...this is more of a general question about the pricing. i still have to take in other brands and do some auditioning before making any final decision.
    thanks in advance...
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

2. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Those are all the basic prices. I believe Paradgim List.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I'll be surprised if you get 15% off list. Paradigm speaker prices are pretty much fixed in the U.S. The surrounds are more expensive because they use 2x the drivers.
    Greg

4. RodC

RodC Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a pair of Mini Monitor for $299 and CC370 for $299 at a local 6th ave. Electronics. At first the salesman did not want to budge saying that these 'never' go on sale. It wasn't until I pulled out notes that I took of a phone call I made to another store indicating that this other store quoted me $299ea for the pair and the center that he said without hesitation "Oh, yeah we can do it for that." Makes me wish I had altered the price in my favor to see for just how little they could have done it, within reason of course.
    This kind of sleaze reminds me of why I haven't shopped there in years.
    Echo a similar story and be prepared to walk out and "shop elsewhere." You might be surprised.
    Rod

5. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Paradigm dealers don't negotiate easily since they have fixed (roughly 50 mile radius) territories so, as Rod said, be prepared to shop around. I bought my Monitor 7s, CC350 and Mini Monitors at a 20% discount at the next closest dealer to home after my local shop wouldn't negotiate more than 5%.
    I'm not surprised that you got list prices over the phone. Unless you have an established relationship with the salesperson it's best to deal in face to face.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater
    my DVD collection

6. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Just my 2 cents. I don't really like the PS-1000. Either save your money or look elsewhere. The other speakers are an awesome value however. The PS-1000 has a lot of bang for the buck, but a mediocre subwoofer can make all of your speakers sound mediocre.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks all -
    unfortunately, i may be kind of stuck if i decide to go with these. as far as i know, the place i called (paradyme audio in sacramento, ca) are the only dealers in the area.
    hmmm...should be interesting...
    thanks again,
    [​IMG]

8. Alexander_J

Alexander_J Auditioning

9. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

Well, now that the Ottawa region has amalgamated, we have four stores that sell Paradigm in Ottawa. (They used to be in four separate cities, but close together). I got my Paradigm sub for 20% off list no problem. Made me wish I'd asked for 25%.
    henning