What's new

Are these normal Tivo/DirecTV quality problems? (1 Viewer)

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
I got a Philips DirecTv w/ Tivo a couple of weeks ago and like it very much, except I'm having some audio/video issues that I don't know if anything can be done about or it's just how it is. I've tried looking at the tivocommunity forums but wasn't able to find the answer to my questions.

1. I get random sound pops when watching programs. There'll be pops in the audio with no distortion of the video. These pops get recorded in the stream, as in if you rewind they're in the same place. There is no change in the video, just short bursts of audio noise. It seems to be worse on locals but occurs on all channels. It happens randomly, sometimes several dozen in a half hour, sometimes none for hours. I get similar audio pops often after fast fowarding/rewinding/changing tuners.

2. Often times the audio has a very over-compressed and tinny/watery sound. This is especially noticable on music channels. I'm using the RCA outputs. I've tried both and I've tried connecting them to both my TV and receiver and still get the problem. Again, seems worse on locals.

3. The video has much more pixelation that I expected. Sometimes it will be almost unnoticible, just a slightly soft picture, however on some channels (MTV2 especially) it can get almost unwatchable. My signal strength is coming in at about 95 on both tuners

I'm not sure if this is just the way it is or if something is wrong with my receiver/dvr unit or the installation (which was professionally installed). Any answers would be appreciated.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone experience these problems before? I'd like to know if I have a bad unit or some other issue I need to fix. The random audio pops are getting especially irritating. I can't imagine that's normal.

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I have a regular Tivo running on Cable, I never got a pop like that before. I would start by checking all of your wiring, I am not too familiar with Direct TV, but was thinking about getting it. Does that box accept hdtv connections? Does that Tivo have a digital out on it?

As far as the noise it might also have something to do with the signale coming to you.

Let me know how you make out!

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. If it's most likely a problem with the unit would I contact the manufacturer (Philips)? Or should I try DirecTv to see if the problem might be on their end?

I don't think the wiring is problematic. All the connections are tight and it seems to be happening on both tuners (since the DVR unit has a seperate wire for each tuner there would have to be a problem with both wires).

I was initially concerned because I got my unit through valueelectronics.com. When I got the unit it had a yellow sticker on it and was w/n a certain serial number range that according to tivocommunity.com forums indicated that the unit that had problems and was refurbed. VE assured me this was a new unit that was fixed before it left the manufacturer, but the unit was a little scuffed up, indicating to me it might have been used (although they denied this).

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
It's past the 30 day return limit, so I guess I'll have to contact the manufacturer. If I have to replace my unit, is there any way to save my settings and recordings?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If I have to replace my unit, is there any way to save my settings and recordings?
No.

If you can live with the problems for a month, sign up for DirecTV's protection plan. After a month call and complain that you are having problems. They will send you a new DirecTivo and you send the old one back to them.

-Robert

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
No.

If you can live with the problems for a month, sign up for DirecTV's protection plan. After a month call and complain that you are having problems. They will send you a new DirecTivo and you send the old one back to them.

-Robert
How do I do that and what does it cost. Shouldn't my manufacturer warranty cover replacing the unit if its broken?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It took 6 weeks for Hughes to replace my DirecTivo when the hard drive died. I had just purchased the Tivo and it hadn't taken over my life. I will never go that long again with Tivo. The DirecTV "insurance" will replace your DirecTivo immediately. It's about $5/month.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks