What's new

Are these digital input for the future Mutichannel Digital connection? not firewire! (1 Viewer)

TanD

Stunt Coordinator
Take a look at this denon 5800 upgrade digital broad.
http://www.dvdrama.net/menus/ces_day1_68.jpg
Beside the denon link (i think like firewire connection with a denon dvd9000), there is a EXT IN of digital coaxial input (4 of them) is label within the regular 5 digital coaxial input. How are we going to use this? Can we use a combination of 2, 3, or 4 of them to connect mutichannel digital input of a future DVD-A or SACD etc...?
Anyone has any input?

ChrisSk

Grip
From the looks of it, these are 4 stereo coax inputs corresponding to L/R, Ls/Rs, Rr/Lr, C/Sub rather like the expansion inputs on a Lexicon MC-1. It's unlikely that these would be used for any high-res audio link from a DVDA or SACD player. A possible use for them would be with a computer soundcard with SPDIF outputs for each channel (like the SB Live).

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
I thought I read recently that denon was going to go with their own "proprietary" interface for linking their dvd-a player with the 5800. Those 4 coax sp-dif inputs could certainly fill that role.

However, I like the idea of using with the sblive's "digital din" output too and may go that way instead on my system once I've upgraded the processor board.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
Firstly, I don't think these connections are "the future". They are an in-the-mean-time until a standard interface is available.

The Denon link is proprietary. With a AVR-5303 and DVD-9000, one cable gets you a digital connection for DVD-Audio.

From the picture, I would say the 4 coax are SPDIF connectors spilt up like ChrisSk indicated. Although I would speculate that instead of "L/R, Ls/Rs" it would be more like "L/Ls, R/Rs". This would allow 192kHz/24bit DVD-Audio transfer since SPDIF can only handle one channel of 192kHz/24bit.

Why both?? Well, my guess is that if other DVD manufacturers do the same SPDIFx4 you could mix and match.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks