Are these digital input for the future Mutichannel Digital connection? not firewire!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TanD, Jan 11, 2002.

1. TanD

TanD Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at this denon 5800 upgrade digital broad.
    http://www.dvdrama.net/menus/ces_day1_68.jpg
    Beside the denon link (i think like firewire connection with a denon dvd9000), there is a EXT IN of digital coaxial input (4 of them) is label within the regular 5 digital coaxial input. How are we going to use this? Can we use a combination of 2, 3, or 4 of them to connect mutichannel digital input of a future DVD-A or SACD etc...?
    Anyone has any input?

2. ChrisSk

ChrisSk Extra

From the looks of it, these are 4 stereo coax inputs corresponding to L/R, Ls/Rs, Rr/Lr, C/Sub rather like the expansion inputs on a Lexicon MC-1. It's unlikely that these would be used for any high-res audio link from a DVDA or SACD player. A possible use for them would be with a computer soundcard with SPDIF outputs for each channel (like the SB Live).

3. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

I thought I read recently that denon was going to go with their own "proprietary" interface for linking their dvd-a player with the 5800. Those 4 coax sp-dif inputs could certainly fill that role.

However, I like the idea of using with the sblive's "digital din" output too and may go that way instead on my system once I've upgraded the processor board.

4. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    Firstly, I don't think these connections are "the future". They are an in-the-mean-time until a standard interface is available.

The Denon link is proprietary. With a AVR-5303 and DVD-9000, one cable gets you a digital connection for DVD-Audio.

From the picture, I would say the 4 coax are SPDIF connectors spilt up like ChrisSk indicated. Although I would speculate that instead of "L/R, Ls/Rs" it would be more like "L/Ls, R/Rs". This would allow 192kHz/24bit DVD-Audio transfer since SPDIF can only handle one channel of 192kHz/24bit.

Why both?? Well, my guess is that if other DVD manufacturers do the same SPDIFx4 you could mix and match.