What's new

Are these Compression Blocks??? (1 Viewer)

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, you'll have to bare with me, i've never posted here before and i don't know very detailed things. I am still learning since I got into home theatres 2 years ago.

Anyway, I have a 51" Panasonic HDTV (the PT-51HX41) and I am using component video from my progressive scan Toshiba DVD player (SD-3750). I am using THX Certified Monster Cables. When I watch DVD's, I notice horrible blocks. I know it's not the sharpness because for some reason, adjusting the sharpness on my component feed doesn't do anything to the picture (it doesn't get duller or sharper). I've had a guy from Best Buy come out and look at the TV and he said it's compression blocks and there's nothing I can do about it. But I don't trust him because he couldn't tell the difference between composite feed and component. So, is there anything I can do? Any help would be very nice!

Clayton

Jorge M

Stunt Coordinator
Have you calibrated your set? If white level and black level are off, you'll be able to notice the MPEG compression on your DVD movies much more. Get a copy of Avia or call an ISF technician. Do a search for either of these if you don't know what I'm talking about!
And no, I won't get naked with you!:)

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Hahaha, whatever that meant! ;) Listen to the guy though. These people know what their talking about. I do suggest finding a copy of one of those DVD's though. It works wonders. I'll see if I have any locally for you.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
You see, Clayton wrote "bare with me" instead of "bear with me," so Jorge says, "No, I won't get naked with you."
:)
Anyway....
Clayton, you should have a beautiful picture on that set. I'd try some experimentation to see if you can isolate the problem.
Does the problem occur with all discs, or just some? Maybe the discs are damaged.
Try using the composite connections between your DVD player and your set and see if you have the same problem.
Try using a different cable. Just because the cable cost a lot of money doesn't mean it can't be defective.
If possible, try a different DVD player. Borrow a friend's if necessary.
Remember to change just one thing at a time so you can isolate the problem.
Good luck!
Jan

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the help...

It's been on all discs (just worse on others... like Van Wilder was horrible) and I have tried using different cables. With the composite video, the blocks are still there but the picture is terrible. The only time the blocks aren't there (or I just plain don't notice them) is when the color is turned all the way down.

Another problem I have is that reds look like they have a neon tint to them. And you can see lines through the solid reds.

Clayton

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Ah, all is becoming clear. You BADLY need to calibrate your set. Buy or rent the Avia test disc, or use the THX Optimode section on various DVDs, like Toy Story, to set your contrast, etc.

In other words, Jorge was right.

Calibrate, calibrate, dance to the music....

Jan

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Clayton:

Can you tell us what your picture settings have been thus far on that RPTV? That is, what are the present adjustments for contrast, brightness, "sharpness," and color temp? Also, which picture mode are you using? And make sure your component-video cables are connected properly; you'd be amazed at how easy it is to make improper connections back there.

Otherwise, follow Jan's process-of-elimination approach.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Alrighty, I will go in order here:

I have used the THX Optimode/Optimizer on many different discs and that didn't help (I even have the THX Blue Filter Glasses). Is the AVIA disc much different? Because I have gone through and tested a bunch of stuff (Cables, settings, ect.) and the only time that I don't notice the blocks is when the color is down all the way.

The Color temp is on normal. As for the other settings, I'll post what I ussually keep them around and the highest they go is 63. Brightness is surprisingly low, ussually I keep it around 18-24, Contrast is high, in the 50's, color is around 40, Tint varies around 22. But for sharpness, like I said earlier, it doesn't effect the picture when using the component feed.

I also have the color on HD instead of Standard. A few more options I have selected are the Video Noise Reduction and Natural Color. That's about all I can select from while using Component video.

Clayton

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Your contrast should be around 30% of the max. So turn it way way down. You have it set in the 80% range.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
SHARPNESS can be a misleading idea. It's recommended Sharpness Control be set WAY down at the lower end of the scale than toward 100%. Set it down, if it isnt, until you get a video/tv screen test disk for calibration.

bill

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
OK, the contrast thing helped a lot, BUT! The picture seems really dim now and it's harder to see. Are there any other suggestions that people may have???

Clayton

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Your probably used to seeing a really really bright picture. What is your brightness at now?

I would give it a week or so watching it like this, after that, turn your contrast way up again and you will hate it.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Steve is right, give it some time, and try to watch in total darkness if you can. it becomes an obsession, but eventually you will have the perfect room for your tv :)

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now, I am still noticing the blocks but not as bad. But I do notice them especially on things that are really red. And like I said before, with red things, there's these lines coming off of the reds. Not these thick dull lines that stream across the screen. But sharp lines (I have the sharpness way down too).

Clayton

By the way, I am getting used to the screen being darker too.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, yet ANOTHER problem is appearing more and more. I can see lines going up and down the screen when there's solid colors. And it's not really just red where I notice the blocks, it's on all colors (just more noticible on red because red stands out more).

Clayton

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
OK. Just making sure, but what are you watching (tv, dvd, vcr), and what DVD. It would help if you could put in a really great video demo disc and tell us what it looks like. Do you have either Toy Story's or the new Monster's Inc?

I think that is not a WS tv, does it have anamorphic squeeze. If it is a WS, then nevermind.

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
I actually have both, Monsters Inc and Toy Story, and on Monsters Inc, I noticed the blocks when there's red in the scenes. I also noticed, it's mostly just darker scenes in movies. And it's DVD that I am watching. And the TV isn't 16:9, it's 4:3.

Clayton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks