are these amps the exact same:Adire AVA250 and partsexpress 300-794

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by rodneyH, Sep 24, 2001.

1. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

the pictures are the exact same, the output is both 250W, and all the other specs are the exact same or very very similar. the only big difference seems to be that the adire is $179 vs partexpress $125
    I am close to deciding on getting a SVS cs line, and am looking for an amp, if any of you can tell me or have similar experience, let me know.
    THANK YOU

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yes they are the same amp with two caviets. The first is that is one hell of a deal, you'll notice that Parts Express lists the normal retail price as $270 and their normal price as $199. Adire's normal price is $179. So that $125 price is simply awesome. From the Parts Express Site:

3. Randy G

Randy G Second Unit

or the warranty?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Can't wait for the new server to be up and running. Grr, hate it when this happens.
    [Edited last by Dustin B on September 24, 2001 at 02:54 PM]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Well I guess that can come into play as well. Adire has a 3 year warranty and parts express have a 90 day warranty. Also you'd be voiding the parts express warranty by doing the mod. Another thing is Adire has a 25% restocking fee if you decide to return it while parts express doesn't.
    So if the warranty is an issue then the extra $55 from Adire for a 3 year warranty and no boost could very well be worth it.
    If the warranty isn't an issue then the parts express moded may be worth the $55 savings.
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

6. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Just one correction...You will NOT void the warranty if you do the mod on the PE amp (unless you're very bad at soldering and do some damage to the circuit board). After all, they provide the details on how to mod the boost to your liking. Their guys on their tech forum have stated many times in the past. Also, these amps may already be shipping with the boost removed, email them and see. Good luck.
    ------------------
    bgarcia

7. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I stand corrected. They should really post that info in the description.
    Are they charging any extra for getting it without the boost? Or did they just get a bunch without it and you can specify which you want?
    ------------------
    Dustin
    [email protected]
    My Adire Tempest Sonosub

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I have been coorelating this purchase with Tom (from SVS), he is sending me a custom tuned 25-31 and he says for my needs that a 3 db boost at about 20-23 Hz (i think?) would be the best, I simply go to PE website and it gives the exact resistors to get with the amp (they are FREE) and it is supposed to be a very easy mod. It should be fun (I can't wait for friday to get here).

9. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

10. Baldemar Garcia

Baldemar Garcia Stunt Coordinator

Dustin,
    There is no charge for getting one without the boost, they will all be that way at some point. The problem may be figuring out when that point is. All new ones from the factory will have no boost, but there's no telling for sure when the 'boosted' inventory is completely gone.
    ------------------
    bgarcia

11. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Jack, the reason I went with the 25 VS the 20 is mostly just size and appearence issues, and the fact that I am Music>HT (the 20 was just as tall as my B&W cdm7nts, but with the huge diameter, it would "dwarf them", and even though my wife approved the 20, personally I was thinking that the 25 would look better in the room, then after looking at the graph in the SVS website and how the freq compares to all the svs subs, the 25 wasn't far off (may 2-3 db) of the 20 or even the 16 (all the way down to 20 Hz and slightly lower), btw, this is a the stock 25 (not the lower tuned version that I am getting), and as mentioned the added bass boost at 20-23 Hz should make it sound real good.
    As for the customer service of PE, I couldn't agree more. I needed to order a amp on Monday, tried to call Adire and found out that they don't open til 11:00 am (pacific time), and I needed to go to work (and can't call there), then I immediatley sent them an e-mail, clearly stating that I needed to order that day, or the next early morning at the latest. well the next morning, NO e-mail, so I ordered the PE. BTW, PE sent me 3 e-mails in the same amount of time (with very specific info). Nothing against Adire, but PE treated me very very well (as did SVS), and that works for me.