Are there unshielded Paradigm Monitors? (Arranging college bedroom, need advise)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Hsu, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

First off, I finally got the cabling I need to get TV in here, so I'm moving stuff around. I wouldn't have thought twice about it earlier, but I noticed that in a thread I read yesterday, someone mentioned that there were shielded and unshielded Monitors...is this true? I bought a pair of Paradigm Monitor 9's just a month ago, from Canada, is there any way I can tell? Should I be worried at all? Cuz you see, the final layout would have the left speaker very near a 27" TV (3 year old Sharp), and 17" Trinitron monitor...and the last thing I want is for my new babies to get damaged.
    Hopefully someone can give me some accurate advise soon, as I want to get started on the Neon Genesis Evangelion DVD set tonight. [​IMG]

2. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Yes there are unshielded monitors. I think they say on the serial card on back but if you didn't pay extra they are not.

3. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

You most likely do not have sheilding. Sheilding id not common and is an upcharge. Look on the back, there will be a big label that says "Magna Sheild" if they are sheilded. If you can't find that sticker then they are not sheilded. If they are not shielded and are too close to a TV, it will cause color distortion in the TV, and eventually damage it permanently, but it won't hurt the speakers.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    You will know right away if they are not shielded when you put them right next to the TV...

5. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I have un-shielded monitor 11's and they have to be at least a foot away from the tv, for there to be no interference.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I had a pair of unshielded Titans in my bedroom and was surprised to find that about 1 foot was required also.