Are there TOO much DVDs coming out these days?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon McMurphy, Oct 2, 2002.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I remember back in the 90s :wink: when there was like, 4 DVDs released per month, eh? [​IMG] Now it feels like there's about 4 released per day! [​IMG]
    Don't get me wrong, it's great that we're getting the goodies, but it's getting heavy! And I feel next year will be even heavier! [​IMG] or [​IMG] ?
    So, we may have to prioritise for next year! Yes, even us DVD Playboys who sit around all day watching 12 discs per day and getting fat! [​IMG]
    I'm lookin' forward to the following...
    Blade Runner: 3/4 Disc Special Edition
    Escape From New York: Special Edition
    Scorsese Boxed Set
    The King Of Comedy
    The Day The Earth Stood Still
    The Man Who Fell To Earth: Anchor Bay Edition DTS 6.1
    Around The World In 80 Days
    Dawn Of The Dead: 3 Disc Set
    Wuthering Heights: MGM Edition
    Captain Kronos: Vampire Killer
    And so on! [​IMG]
    What about you?
    Gordy

2. Steven_Ma

Steven_Ma Agent

To many released on the same day imo they need to spread them out.

3. jacob w k

jacob w k Stunt Coordinator

I only have enough money to buy stuff I really want. What really matters is which movies are coming out not how many.

4. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

One good thing about it is that there's a variety of stuff being released. They do need to stop releasing new movies so quickly, and release older titles such as the Indiana Jones and Star Wars trilogies, Freaks, King Kong, and such.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Something for everyone

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I'm amazed at how much floor space is now devoted to DVDs in stores (like Best Buy, Circuit City, Media Play, etc). DVD is now THE format of choice for movie viewing. VHS tapes are totally on the way out.

7. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

All I know is I have a huge stack of unopened September releases sitting on my cofee table. This coupled with all the new TV shows starting and between DVDs and Replay TV I am spending ever night in front of my couch.

8. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

Too many? Never can there be too many. Now there might be too many for me to buy right now, but that just means more movies for Christmas.

9. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

10. David_N

David_N Stunt Coordinator

11. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

My mentality in getting a movie on release date or release week is that stores typically will offer these DVDs at a discounted price to lure customers in to buy other stuff. If you wait to purchase after that time period, the cost of that DVD typically will be greater. While it doesn't explain the DVD collecting addiction, it does explain the behavior on this action at least. Hope that helps.

12. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I think it's great. I love having so many choices. It can get expensive, but what hobby dosen't? And until I have the orignal SW trilogy and Indiana Jones trilogy sitting on my shelf, I'll always be looking forward to the next Tuesday![​IMG]

13. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Why space out the releases? Just buy them when you feel like it. There is no longer any incentive to pre-order discs to get the 40% off deal like in the glory days of Reel.com and the rest.

14. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I have a stack of unwatched titles as well. My way of buying is to buy the re-releases or catalog titles at the time they're released 'cause they won't be at that price again. For new releases, I've decided to go the Previously Viewed route. I can get them for $14.95. They're only mildly buffed up and are guaranteed, so I don't lose anything.

So... 2 reasons: Price, and collectors mentality.

Chris.

15. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

If you don't buy it the first week at a pre-order price or B&M sale price, then you'll end up paying more for it.
    If it's a title that I know I want in my collection, it doesn't make sense to wait to buy it. I always get the best deals possible on my DVDs. Why would I not buy a great movie I want for $15 just because I can't watch it right away? If I don't buy it the first week, chances are I'll never buy it since I refuse to pay full price for any DVD. I will usually only buy older catlog titles if they have a price-drop.
    If it's something that I'm not sure if I want to own or can wait on, I'll just add it to my Netflix queue.
    Of course, I'm having a hard time keeping up with watching my Netflix rentals as well. [​IMG]

16. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

17. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

That's true DDD doesn't charge more after release, so that is a good source for things that have already been released. However, their free shipping takes a long time so I usually don't order new releases from them. I much prefer DVD Empire who has free shipping on 4 titles, and they usually have a lower price than DDD.

I also forgot to mention, how great it is to always have so many new things to watch. That would be very inconvenient to wait until you have time to watch a movie to run to the store and get it. Usually every night after dinner my husband and I will either watch DVDs or a recorded shows. It is so nice to look at a stack of new stuff and pick whatever strikes our fancy. The newer stuff usually gets watched first.

Part of the great thing of collecting movies is to have them right at your fingertips. If it's a movie I love, why wouldn't I want to add it my collection as soon as possible?

Plus it would be weird for me to come on this forum and say things like "I wish Studio X would release Movie Y" and then turn around and not buy it when it came out.

18. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

No!

There were two Tuesdays in a row in Sept. that did not have a single release I wanted.

Still a ways to go to 'catch-up' with LD. Looking forward to all the music [opera,concert,video,etc.] stuff!

19. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    I buy DVDs when they first come out because most of my purchases are now made at Costco. They only stock titles for a week or two so you have to grab them when you see them.

20. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    The only problem I have is finding the $ to actually but all these wonderful discs. Then again, I always have something to get when I do have money.