1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there TOO MANY Lawyers at Disney????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Koch, Oct 12, 2001.

1. Dave Koch

Dave Koch Stunt Coordinator

Hey:
    I just picked up Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. It really is quite a DVD. As I was looking through it, I noticed that there was a Commentary Track. Cool, I thought, and I went in to look and see who had done it.
    Imagine my surprise to see it was done by Walt. hat's right, Walt Disney himself. I am guessing John Canemaker took a variety of interviews with Walt, and edited them together to make a coherant commentary. Very cool, too.
    But here is the funny thing, and what caused the post. In what looks like a slightly larger font, there is a disclaimer! "The opinions exprssed in this commentarty track are those of the speaker, and do not necissarly reflect the opinions of Buena Vista, Walt Disney Company, or any of it's affiliates or subsaries."
    I thought it was funny at first (The Disney Company dis-owning Walt's opinion is pretty wild! What- his idea of the theme of Snow White is not shared by the Company???) and then I realized that this is just proof there are just too many lawyers at Disney!!!
    Dave
    [Edited last by Dave Koch on October 12, 2001 at 12:47 PM]

2. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Hence many of the problems with the Disney corporation today. Walt isn't around, and his ideas and values are not as embraced as they were before.
    Granted, he was no saint, but he had his dreams, and he pursued them 100%. He went against all of his stockholders (and even his brother, Roy) when he decided to build Disneyland. He had to form a new corporation (WED) in order to get financing. After he showed it was feasible and sucessful, it was incorporated into Disney.
    Nowadays, it seems like everything is "halfassed". California Adventure was built on a tight budget, and now they are having to go back and add more to it, so that it is on the par with Disneyland.
    Maybe they should get back to the ideas and values that built their company, and not distance themselves from them.
    ------------------
    Randy Tennison
    Kansas City, MO
    Home theater photos located at
    http://home.kc.rr.com/thetennisons/

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would rather see disclaimers than censorship, so this is a positive thing, IMHO.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

4. Dave Koch

Ken:
    True... true. I had not given thought to the "serious" side of this issue.... just the absurd side!
    dave

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

6. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Jeez... how bad could Walt be? Does he refer to them as "the seven midgets" or something?
    Or does he say "this is the scene where the rich white woman breaks into their house and lets the animals clean the dishes they eat off of with their tails"?? [​IMG]

7. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Actually, the irony is, if they edited together Walts comments, and they are not in the orignal context, then the opinions exprssed in the commentarty track might note even be those of the speaker. This kind of thought first came to my mind whith the John Wayne Coors commercials. What if John Wayne didnt want to be associated with Coors or beer. Oops, too bad, your dead!
    ------------------
    My Website: http://www.hometheaterfanatic.com
    e-mail me: [email protected]
    My DVD Profiler
    Paradigm Lover

8. Dave Koch

Charles:
    OK, first let me state I have not yet had a chance to actually listen to the comments...
    That said, they were compiled by John Canemaker. He is a highly respected Disney historian and author. If he did take something out of context, I am sure he would struggle over that, and make some sort of comment correcting any possible mis-interpetations. John is very involved in Disney history, and very professional- he would make it right, I am sure.
    Talking with some other Disney people today, we came to the conclusion that the statement is simply one of fact: Today's Disney Company does NOT share the ideals or values of Walt Disney. Maybe, in some ways, that is good.
    Too Many Lawyers!!!!
    Dave
    [Edited last by Dave Koch on October 12, 2001 at 02:06 PM]

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I'm not gonna go searching for it, but there was a thread about the commentary disclaimers and how they are becoming standard on many dvd's from many studios. I would not worry about any specific intent with THIS diclaimer on THIS commentary recorded on THIS disc. It's just routine now, and at more studios than Disney/BV.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

There's a lot of complexity here. Walt had a lot of good ideas and thoughts, and some not so good ones. Disney the corporation does some good things and some bad things. But Disney the corporation hasn't been like Walt for a long, long time.
    Disneyland did for the longest time (perhaps they still do) bar employees (at least the males) from having moustaches, even though Walt sported one. Hypocrisy? Stupidity? Whatever.
    Except for historical purposes, forget Walt. Disney is what they are for better (Snow White dvd) and worse (Song of the South dvd).
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

11. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

12. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    There was a pieced-together commentary by Walt on Fantasia, and I don't recall any disclaimers there.
    ------------------
    Feline audience members Katie, Susie, and the one and only Fluffy Pumpkin

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

I also find it amusing that they felt the need to place a disclaimer on the commentary. It only serves to make people think that there are juicy tidbits contained therein. I was expecting some startling comments about Michael Eisner dressing up in women's clothing or something. No such luck. [​IMG] Great track, though. Very interesting and informative.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I listened to the commentary and heard nothing that could be construed as something requiring a "these are the speaker's opinions, not ours" disclaimer, except for Mr. Canemaker's comments on the "mediocre, forgettable" (his comments) Flip the Frog cartoons and such by Ub Iwerks.
    Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney tried to distance themselves from Walt himself, all things considered. It's not likely, but I wouldn't be surprised.
    ------------------
    Petition to release The Mary Tyler Moore Show on DVD

15. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

16. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

There can never be a sufficient number of lawyers.

17. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the Miramax release "Bridget Jones's Diary" has the same disclaimer. since it does have naughty bits, i figured that was the reason Disney put the disclaimer in, but it looks like it will become the norm with Disney.

18. cody meche

cody meche Auditioning

i have been grabbing any diney classics i can for my little girl, i like the quality if the disney dvd's but disney is so tight that you can only get certain titles every 7 years for limited time for whatever there reason is, which in my book is wacked, its not like almost every other dvd where you can just order what you want and get it

19. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

So, the female employees ARE allowed to have moustaches?
    [​IMG]

20. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor