What's new

Are there plans for an Exorcist SE? (1 Viewer)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree that the 5.1 mix on the 25th/Special ED. is rather center centric but that isn't what makes me dislike it, I can handle a remixed 5.1 center dominant track just fine, what I don't like is it's rather crappy dynamic range as it is awful tinny and hollow sounding.

On the other hand I also agree that the track on TVYNS while having much better DR and soundstage is just too damn busy with all the added sound effects and incidental music, it has none of the subtilty and suspense that the original track had. It's a fine line to walk.

The 25th was a damn fine disc and a new remix of the original soundtrack is just about the only reason I would want a new addition...well that and the inclusion of the outstanding cleaned up transfer that TVYNS had.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree that the 5.1 mix on the 25th/Special ED. is rather center centric but that isn't what makes me dislike it, I can handle a remixed 5.1 center dominant track just fine, what I don't like is it's rather crappy dynamic range as it is awful tinny and hollow sounding.

On the other hand I also agree that the track on TVYNS while having much better DR and soundstage is just too damn busy with all the added sound effects and incidental music, it has none of the subtilty and suspense that the original track had. It's a fine line to walk.

The 25th was a damn fine disc and a new remix of the original soundtrack is just about the only reason I would want a new addition...well that and the inclusion of the outstanding cleaned up transfer that TVYNS had.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I don't think it can improve too much at all (at least for The Version You've Never Seen and Exorcist 3. I can't see any major restorations for these.)
I couldn't disagree more strongly on your take on EXORCIST III. The 5.1 sound on the DVD is atrocious, lacking nearly all of the surround information from the original mix (which was fantastic on the laserdisc release, incidentally).

Blatty has long wanted to restore his original version, and there were reports this spring of Morgan Creek allowing him to do so (I believe those were over at captainhowdy.com). I think if EXORCIST THE BEGINNING is profitable at all, we'll see it at long last.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I don't think it can improve too much at all (at least for The Version You've Never Seen and Exorcist 3. I can't see any major restorations for these.)
I couldn't disagree more strongly on your take on EXORCIST III. The 5.1 sound on the DVD is atrocious, lacking nearly all of the surround information from the original mix (which was fantastic on the laserdisc release, incidentally).

Blatty has long wanted to restore his original version, and there were reports this spring of Morgan Creek allowing him to do so (I believe those were over at captainhowdy.com). I think if EXORCIST THE BEGINNING is profitable at all, we'll see it at long last.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Sorry if i was unclear Ed, a new 5.1 mix more faithful to the original (I.E. no incidental music or effects that were not in the original mono mix) and at the very least with better DR than the 5.1 mix the 25th/SE DVD used.

I would also ask for the original mono track but this is Warner Brothers we are talking about.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Sorry if i was unclear Ed, a new 5.1 mix more faithful to the original (I.E. no incidental music or effects that were not in the original mono mix) and at the very least with better DR than the 5.1 mix the 25th/SE DVD used.

I would also ask for the original mono track but this is Warner Brothers we are talking about.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I like the new mix for TVYNS. Clearer, louder sound effects. But the new cut is bad!

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator
I like the new mix for TVYNS. Clearer, louder sound effects. But the new cut is bad!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Jason:g,
it's not that I think the remix on TVYNS is badly engineered, indeed it sounds great but it also adds unnecessary incidental music (almost as if it were telling the viewer when to be scared...the film don't need no help boys) and new sound effects. I like the original track because if you listen to it you can understand what a triumph it was for the engineers in 73 and why it richly deserved it's sound design Oscar, watch the docu on the 25th/SE DVD for more on this.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Jason:g,
it's not that I think the remix on TVYNS is badly engineered, indeed it sounds great but it also adds unnecessary incidental music (almost as if it were telling the viewer when to be scared...the film don't need no help boys) and new sound effects. I like the original track because if you listen to it you can understand what a triumph it was for the engineers in 73 and why it richly deserved it's sound design Oscar, watch the docu on the 25th/SE DVD for more on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daryubel
Recent bookmarks