What's new

Are there plans for an Exorcist SE? (1 Viewer)

Gregg Shiu

Second Unit
Real Name
Gregg Shiu
Hey guys, I just thought I'd check this up for you since I don't think anyone's already taken the liberty of doing so, but I think several etailers still stock both versions of the exorcist. I thought that the 25th anniversary edition had been out of print for some time, as I've seen it displayed as such on ebay. The Version You've Never Seen, as far as I know is very much available in stores, as the Circuit City I work at has several on-hand. If you haven't picked up this title, go ahead and try going to dvdpricesearch.com to find out your best bet of getting it.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
im from UK

doesnt look like i can get hold of the R1 online anymore.

the R2 is very cheap here, but they got the R1 and R2 mixed up. The R1 has a longer documentary, so i want this version.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Is it just me or did I read something about those two discs being packaged together? Just a rumor? I thought sure it was confirmed.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ really? can anyone confirm this? Cuz I really don't want to spend money on it now just to find out that they are planning a new release/package.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Too bad no one asked about an Exorcist re-release in the Warner chat last week. To be honest, I didn't even think about it until this thread appeared. However, I am almost willing to bet that the transfer will be the same. I don't think it can improve too much at all (at least for The Version You've Never Seen and Exorcist 3. I can't see any major restorations for these.)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Can someone provide any data/info on the topic of the "Fear Of God" documentary feature? ......

I have the Widescreen VHS version of the 25th Anniv. Exorcist, which contains 177 minutes' worth of video material (of which, 122 minutes is the film); leaving 55 minutes for the documentary, 3 trailers, plus a Friedkin "introduction".

So, my question would be: Is it worth upgrading to the DVD version of the 25th Anniv. Edition, for what appears to be approximately 25 minutes of missing footage from the documentary?

The complete documentary runs 75 minutes, according to the DVD cover. Just was curious if anyone knows what's been excised on the VHS variant, in order to trim it from 75 to approx. 50 minutes?

Quite obviously, what with a 2-plus-hour movie AND a 1-plus-hour docu. (plus trailers), the limitations of putting all this stuff onto a single VHS cassette, in SP mode, are evident. (Cramming 177 min. onto one VHS [SP] tape is just about at the maxed-out point.)

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
In reply to David VP's post - justupgrade to the DVD, while you still can.

The Exorcist... never mind that, where is To Live and Die in LA SE that we keep getting promised!

Dion C

Stunt Coordinator
It would be nice to have a uber-special edition of "The Exorcist" that held both the original theatrical cut and re-release cut (via seamless branching) -- with both getting the same remixed soundtrack that made such a huge improvement in the re-cut version (setting aside debate on the quality of the inserted material itself); this fantasy "uber-SE" would, of course, also retain the great documentary from the original SE disc, as well as deleted scenes, promo materials, and a nostalgic revisit of the controversy and hysteria this film generated upon its original release (such as tv news accounts, articles, etc.) It was such a shocking filmgoing experience in its day (almost akin to the impact on many people who saw "King Kong" in its first release), it would be interesting to have some time capsule moments on the disc recounting it all.

And yes, please, does any person out there have any information about the allegedly upcoming "To Live & Die..." SE? I've been waiting anxiously for this disc forever. I consider it one of the all-time great crime films. A release date (or general time frame for a release)? Info on supplements? Anything??? I wait with baited breath. (And I think we all know how gross that can get.) ;-)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who found the remixed soundtrack of THE VERSION YOU'VE NEVER SEEN to be about as detrimental to the film as many of the picture changes? I found all the added, "new" sound effects and "music" to be downright distracting (example, the scene where Merin goes to the site of the big Pazuzzu statue in Iraq- all the added sounds broke the carefully-building tension of the original version of that scene, and what the hell was with that airplane fly-over when the image dissolves to Georgetown? HORRIBLE!!!). I *HATE* that remix almost as much as I hate the re-editing of the film itself.

Vincent

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
Taking the thread further off course :

I'm with you, Vincent. I think the remix has lost a lot of the subtlety of the original mix..

But I like parts of the TVYNS remix. Some genuinely creepy atmospheric uses of surrounds and bass.

The litmus test for whether I prefer a remix, is simple. There should not be a single moment where I prefer the original mix. I play The Terminator in mono, Das Boot in full 5.1. (An absolutely stunning remix!) Purists, cry foul if you wish. :)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Scott:

I love the DAS BOOT remix as well. It really makes you feel like you're *IN* that sub- GREAT subtle use of the surrounds to create an aural environment!

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Scott:

I love the DAS BOOT remix as well. It really makes you feel like you're *IN* that sub- GREAT subtle use of the surrounds to create an aural environment!

Vincent

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that the 25th anniversary edition had been out of print for some time, as I've seen it displayed as such on ebay
That's a typical example of a trick used on ebay, pay no attention. I've often seen things advertised as being Rare, when i know they are easy to come by. Wether it's out of print or not, retailers still have plenty of stock left, this is obviously a ploy by some ebayers to convince you the item is harder to come by than it actually is, so they can get a higher price for it. Or, if you dont want to believe me, you could just buy my Ultra Rare copy of 25th Anniv Exorcist for $50.

Rodney Martin

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that the 25th anniversary edition had been out of print for some time, as I've seen it displayed as such on ebay
That's a typical example of a trick used on ebay, pay no attention. I've often seen things advertised as being Rare, when i know they are easy to come by. Wether it's out of print or not, retailers still have plenty of stock left, this is obviously a ploy by some ebayers to convince you the item is harder to come by than it actually is, so they can get a higher price for it. Or, if you dont want to believe me, you could just buy my Ultra Rare copy of 25th Anniv Exorcist for $50.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks