What's new

Are there plans for an Exorcist SE? (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
According to dvdsoon.com both versions of The Exorcist (25th Anniversary Edition and The Version You've Never Seen) have both been discontinued. I don't know if this is true of TVYNS since it's still everywhere. Anyways, since the original cut is no longer available, does WB plan to bring it out as a SE?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
The 25th Anniversary DVD is a pretty special edition already. And many stores around where I live still have copies.

I don't think seamless branching would work to combine the two versions. There are too many differences in the soundtrack (effects, music, etcetera). Maybe a 2-disc re-release of both previous discs in one set? They might could redo the 25th as a DVD-9 with everything on one side.

I didn't realize TVYNS had gone out of print. Maybe they are planning something. I highly recommend the 25th Anniversary edition if you don't have it, though.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
What we really need is the 25th Anniversary Edition (i.e., the original film) using either the soundtrack from TVYNS or even the 5.1 track that for reasons best known to Warner management circa 1997 appeared only on the P&S side of the original non-SE disc, and which frankly is the best audio representation of the film.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I'd love a 2-Disc with both versions and the supplements from both...although I gotta tell ya...I would never really watch TVYNS...I like the original version better...but I would like to watch the Theatrical with the sndtrk from TVYNS...

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
What we really need is the 25th Anniversary Edition (i.e., the original film) using either the soundtrack from TVYNS or even the 5.1 track that for reasons best known to Warner management circa 1997 appeared only on the P&S side of the original non-SE disc, and which frankly is the best audio representation of the film.
Indeed, that is crazy having it on the P&S side. What did the OAR side have? 2.0?

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
I was under the impression that the 25th anniversary Exorcist dvd was not anamorphic so I picked up the VYNS edition....was I wrong?

Will K

Screenwriter
As much as I love the movie, I think it's been done to death as far as special editions go. William Friedkin has already recorded two commentaries, one for each version.

What I would like is a SE of William Peter Blatty's Exorcist III, featuring his original cut before studio tinkering.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Do you know much about what all was cut or changed in Exorcist 3? IMDB doesn't mention much.

Will K

Screenwriter
Do you know much about what all was cut or changed in Exorcist 3? IMDB doesn't mention much.
Primarly, the finale of the film was a trouble spot for studio executives. As written and shot, the film didn't originally have an exorcism sequence. It ended much like the book(Legion), where Kinderman's face-off was more subtle. I suppose they felt silly by using Exorcist in the title, so reshoots were ordered and Blatty had to conjure up a more commercial ending, which is what ended up in the final cut.

As a result, the Father Morning character(Nicol Williamson) was added in where he hadn't been prior.

There were also things that were almost changed that ultimately weren't. Test audiences were confused by the Father Karras/Patient X/Gemini Killer character, played by Jason Miller and Brad Dourif, respectively. At one point, the producers considered completely leaving Brad Dourif's entire performance on the cutting room floor! In my opinion, this would been totally disastrous to the film as Dourif breathes some real menace into the action.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Very true...good presentation is all I ask for...but a DC bit Blatty would be soo frickin sweet...

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
for at least 4 months now, i haven't seen one copy of the 25th anniversary edition in stores.
tons of the TVYNSB, but not one of the other.
until yesterday when i saw one copy on the shelf.
it was stickered at $22.99 while the TVYNSB was stickered at $14.99.
i had 'em check to see the prices were right, and that was indeed what they came up as.

i'm wondering if i should go back and grab it.
i don't own any copies of it ( been resisting for quite a while due to some bad ju-ju i've always associated with this film), but i would like to own it, and for me the 25th would be the one i would want more.

anybody else still seeing this show up on the shelves at a more reasonable price?

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Paul,
If your a fan of The Exorcist, the 25th Anniversary Ed.(older pressings also had a Special Edition banner along the top of the packaging)is the version you should not do without. It has a fantastic, comprehensive documentary called "The Fear of God - 25 Years of The Exorcist" that is, in my opionion, one of the best documentaries you'll find about a film. It also includes 2 audio commentaries, one with director William Friedkin(which is better than the one he does on TVYNS edition)and one with writer William Peter Blatty. This one also includes some of the very creepy audio recordings done with Mercedes McCambridge(voice of Pazuza)that will make your skin crawl. There is also a bunch of other goodies on the disc which make this well worth having. I've also noticed that the 25th Ann. Ed. is harder to find in B&M's. I'm not sure if you can find in cheaper online but I highly recommend the disc.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tony,
i've seen the doc before and your right, its a good one.

i'm a little jittery about owning this one.
i used to be a big fan of the film when i saw it as a kid, and had picked up a copy of a book i believe was called 'William Peter Blatty On The Exorcist'.
i guess it was a making of type book- lots of great photos of Dick Smiths make-up which you didn't see very much at the time.
anyway, i was in the car with my mom reading it when our little rabbit got rear-ended by a semi.
no kidding.
very scary.
we wound up in a gully, but luckily nobody was hurt.
the book flew out of my hands and out the window upon impact and i found it later laying in the grass with little shards of glass stuck in the pages.
very creepy.

i've talked with a friend who is a big fan of horror movies but he refuses to own this one because he thinks the movie is just too 'evil'.
i hesitate too, but its just such a damn good film.
and if the 25th edition is a hard to find as it seems i may finally have to suppress my bad vibes and pick it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks