What's new

Are there no reviews of Monty Python and the Meaning of Life... (1 Viewer)

Wade M.

Grip
which is coming out next week? Of course, I do NOT need a review to know I'll be getting this; I'll watch Holy Grail today while eating lunch and next week I'll be losing my lunch to Mr. Creosote!

What do you guys think of the movie?

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I sold my old version in anticipation of this release months ago, considering I got 27 for my old copy and the new costs under 20, I'm happy no matter what!

richardWI

Second Unit
I think that if they don't want their DVDs discussed online we should respect their decision. I'll buy it, but not talk about, praise, or otherwise promote it online.

Wade M.

Grip
I didn't hear about this thing about Universal not wanting online play for their stuff. Ah well, guess we learn something new everyday :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
My personal theory is that they don't want a major disc panned while they're trying to sell the company. COuld be wrong

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Having just talked with a rep over at
Universal, I am unaware of a policy that
now bans screener procuct from being sent
to online sites in advance.

However....

Our reviewer hasn't received any screener product
from them as of late, nor have I seen any advance
reviews of Universal product up on any review sites.

I'd really like to know if anyone has definitive
information that this is now policy not to send
out screeners. If it is, a real shame, as sites
like ours would greatly help Universal promote
their DVDs.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think that if they don't want their DVDs discussed online we should respect their decision.
I don't. I certainly won't PROMOTE their stuff, but I still think discussion should occur. If they put out a crappy disc, should we ignore that and not discuss it because they don't want us to chat about it?

It's weird - Artisan is arguably the worst of all the different DVD producers, and they send out EVERYTHING to reviewers. Uni generally does a nice job, and they send out NOTHING. I think they honestly believe the publicity they'd get from the different sites doesn't warrant the minimal cost of a screener. (And it's not like they were sending titles to everybody - they were always very tough to crack for screeners. I had a bear of a time ever getting on their list!)

Maybe Jeff's right and they're hoping to avoid bad publicity. However, I believe they DO still send titles to print reviewers - it's just the online community they shun. I'd chalk it up to cheapness, but then again, they offer tons of titles for contests! It's a bizarre little mystery, but in the end, it all finishes the same way: no screeners...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Colin,

My contact at Universal has assured us that
a Meaning of Life DVD went out to our
reviewer this week.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if we are
back on the screener list or not. I am being
assured that we are.

It's a shame that this is not being done across
the board. I know THE DIGITAL BITS has always
had a tough time getting Universal product. Up
until three months ago when I resigned as a reviewer
here, I was getting loads of screener product
from them.

I'm just waiting to hear from Jason (who is our
Universal reviewer) as to if he is receiving
product. If so, we should have a review of
Meaning Of Life up shortly.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, we were formally informed that Universal was not supplying screener product to online sites, check Bill's MY TWO CENTS back around November/Decmeber 2002 (maybe it was October, it was either ET or BTTF) for more details.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jeff,

They weren't supplying screeners to DIGITAL BITS.

They were to us as well as DVD FILE.

I just received an email from our rep saying
we are on their screener list and Meaning Of
Life
was already sent out.

I would suggest any review site not on Universal's
screener list contact their reps at the studio.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from the dvd back cover.

soundtrack for the lonely: a soundtrack for people watching at home alone.
that is lsited as one of the disc one special features.
so is "director's cut with 3 deleted scenes."

one of the most vulgar movies i ever saw.

can't wait to see it again.

Wade M.

Grip
OH YES! I can't believe they had a no-holds-barred sex-ed scene, and the dialog in that particular scene was great (not saying the dialog in the rest of the movie wasn't :) ). I also heartily enjoyed the scene about the man choosing his way to be executed as being run off a cliff by a dozen hot topless women! Guess I'm just a little pervert :)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I would suggest any review site not on Universal's
screener list contact their reps at the studio.
Maybe others will succeed better than I did, but I don't think this will work. For whatever reason, Uni has apparently decided that only HTF and DVD File deserve screeners. I've bitched and moaned at the PR reps and I'm sure others did as well - it makes no difference, because that's their policy and that's that. Or maybe they just don't like me! But since no one other than DVD File and HTF get the titles, I don't think that's it. Again, I'm sure the other sites have hollered loudly, but obviously they don't get screeners either. This isn't a case of the squeaky wheel getting the grease.

So I say screw 'em!

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
I've already pre-ordered this title. I always thought the movie was so so (and the Pythons agree), but what sold me is all the new material they contributed just for the DVD.

Derek

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
digitallyOBSESSED was receiving Universal screeners pretty regularly but the well seems to have dried up in January. I don't think we ever got any formal notice from them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks