What's new

Are there instructions for grey scale calibration? (1 Viewer)

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I might be getting my hands on a color analyser. I was wondering if there's a website that explains how to use the patterns on the VE disk to properly set grey scale.
I've already had my set ISF'd, but I don't think it was done properly. I have no problems performing this myself. I just need general instructions.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
No instructions per se ...
I hope you were actually watching the guy do the grayscale on your set ... should take about 2 minutes to figure it out.
use the ire window patterns. Cuts for dark and drivers for light.
That is all. :)
Regards
------------------
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
David,
Can you post your experience on this? Also, if you do end up writing your own instructions I would be very interested in them.
Thanks!

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
...use the ire window patterns. Cuts for dark and drivers for light.
That is all.
There seems to be more to it than just that.
First off is the selection of which IRE windows you use - they're not simply labelled "dark" and "light." I've heard different opinions on this but generally it is recommended that the 30IRE window is used for the low end and 100IRE for the high end. There is much interaction between the two so you will go back and forth between the CUTs and DRVs to achieve the correct result.
Secondly, there is more than one way to achieve 6500K. The color temperature is not the only goal - you're also looking for the proper blend of RGB. With software like that included with the CA-1 you are not only presented with the color temp but also two graphical representations of the relative mix of red and blue compared to green.
Finally, once the proper grayscale is achieved there is the remaining issue of uniformity. The grayscale measurement in the center of the screen will be different than those elsewhere. Blue is relatively weak on the right and red is relatively weak on the left (as both guns are angled towards the other side). So color temperature will be relatively high (blue) on the left and relatively low (red) on the right. To compensate for this you can implement lens striping which helps offset these differences for a more uniform grayscale across the screen. Lens striping details can be found by searching this Forum or at Errol's HDTV.
------------------
[email protected]
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks