What's new

Are there general guidelines regarding main/sub frequency overlap? (1 Viewer)

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
I have NEAR 50MEII's, that are rated to 27 Hz. But one of my woofers [for those unfamilar, 8" aluminum allow cone] has been ridden a little hard [A CD had some near reference level 15-20 Hz spikes that nearly blew it] and I'd like to baby the bottom end a bit with bass management. I'm looking into a sub with extension and am curious if there are guidelines on setting the overlap between nearly full range mains and a quality sub. I don't need a lot more SPLs in the mid-bass, just more extension in the true subwoofer area.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Looking for a subwoofer that hits deep, check out the most discussed brands such as SVS, HSU, Adire tempest, etc. I have a DIY tempest tuned to 15.4hz and the way I adjusted the crossover between the mains and sub was using test tones and an spl meter.

If done correctly you won't be able to tell when the sub starts to kick in and when the mains fade out. Phase can also be adjusted as well.

There may be special guidlines and specifications of how to do it but I just like to use my ear and meter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks