Are there cures for these WinXP annoyances?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robt_Moore, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Robt_Moore

Robt_Moore Stunt Coordinator

Generally, I am very happy with WinXP. I installed it Dec. 1 and it hasn't frozen or crashed yet (unlike Win98 that did several times a DAY). However, are there cures yet for these annoyances? Did I miss a box or radio button somewhere?

1. Autohide on the taskbar. When using IE in full screen mode, you have to pull down the mouse a few time before the task bar pops back up. If you are quick, it jumps back down and it seems you are fighting to get it back. Autohiding of the IE bar across the top is fine.

2. Balloon tags that pop up BEHIND the items. When you hover over some things, sometime things in the task bar, sometimes the buttons on WinAmp, the balloon tags pop up behind the item. Annoying.

3. That damn annoying balloon that won't go away. When you first connect to the Internet using a dial-up account, a balloon will show in the sys tray showing "Connected to x.net at 50 kps etc." It should disappear a few seconds later. Sometimes it does, sometimes I have to close it. Sometimes it will pop back up later.

4. Different DUN dialog boxes. When I click on IE icon, the "classic" DUN dialog box pops up and announces it is dialing, shows the logon name, password, boxes to click or unclick, just like it was in WIN98. Click on any other type of program that needs an Internet connection, get a different box, just as if I clicked Start>Connect To>etc.

Is one way better that the other?

I did fix my biggest annoyance. WinXP shadows your password differently than before in the DUN dialog box. The number of characters in the shadowed password is different than the actual shadowed password. For a month I kept thinking XP saved the wrong password and I had to manually enter it everytime I connected to the Internet. They coulda told us!

Thanks for any suggestions or tips.

2. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Uhm. Sounds to me like you have some bugs [​IMG] I have installed XP on my computer and CONVINCED my buddies to make the upgrade as well and none of the boxes the upgrade or clean install has been done to suffer from this fate. The ONE thing I think I might be able to help you with is the auto-hiding task bar:
    Right click on your taskbar and click properties. Then de-select auto-hide taskbar.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

4. Glenn L

Glenn L Stunt Coordinator

Try here. That's usually the first link I check when I want to "fix" something in Windows.