What's new

Are there banana plugs that do not require crimping? (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I'm in the market for some decent banana plugs. However, I don't have a crimper, nor do I want to buy one. Are there any decent plugs out there which do not require any crimping?? Basically, I'm looking for the easiest solution possible.

Thank You.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Thanks Alan!

I was actually looking at those exact plugs at parts express. So, being a screw mechanism that means you don't need to crimp? How does it work?

thanks.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
DO you see that hole in that black ABS plastic area? You usually stick the wire through there. The bottom - where the black line is - unscrews out and you just stick the wire in and re-screw.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Oh yeah - does anyone know if the Nakamichi banana plugs on Ebay are of better quality (are they worth it) over the Dayton plugs? The ones on ebay cost $24 per set vs the $6.25 of the Daytons. Just wondering b/c the small extra cost wouldn't make too much difference in the long run since you can reuse these compression plugs.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
I was wondering the same thing about the $20/pair Monster Cable plugs...

From what I have read over the past week, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Well - I know I wouldn't go $20 / pair for Monster stuff. At that price level - you're almost at the price point for WBT stuff - at least midline. (THE GOOD STUFF).

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
I've never looked into that higher end stuff cuz I have a budget system. But I got my banana plugs (The screw-on kind) from Radio Shack for like $3 a set and they seem to work just fine for me. Maybe some others who have bought them could give some feedback?

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Audio wise it probably doesn't make much difference in most systems, but the higher price WBT and Monster plugs do offer something that lower cost plugs don't. These plugs has a mechanism that expands the prongs of the bannana plug after it's inserted. This creates a tighter fit and is less prone to come loose if you move your speakers alot, tend to move stuff around where the speaker cables are, have stiff speaker cables that just won't stay in a certain position or have speakers high on stands and the plugs must support the weight of the speaker wires.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Not to hijack or anything...but my question is along the same lines.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=118394&DID=7

I just ordered these cables for my first pair of HT speaks (Polk RTi38s) and this question made me wonder, do I need something to connect this to my pioneer VSX-D812K receiver or will this work without any other stuff? PLEASE tell me as I already made the order and want to change it if necessary!!

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hey:
I just found some solder on locking plugs at the Shack, part number 278-307, and they seem really nice. They were very easy to solder together, and 12GA wire fits fine.

Roy

These plugs look good for the money! I don't really get how the "locking" part works on these. I understand that the insert spreads out once it is inserted but how? Do you just twist them?
My past experience with Nakamichi is that they make quality components!

Steve Lumbert

Stunt Coordinator
The Nakamichi bananas on eBay are excellent. I bought 3 sets of 8 from that guy recently. They can take up to 6 gauge wire too.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well here's the deal. I got 10 pairs(for a 5 speaker HT setup) of Tivoli banana plugs. They cost $10 a pair at Tweeter, still have receipt(s), and they were used about a month. They are gold plated, screw type, in perfect condition. Since my speaker/receiver setup is finalized I had pulled them off some time ago and kinda forgot about them. I would really like to sell them as a set and would let them go for $70 shipped. I sent Perry a PM but it doesn't show he received it. So I figure I'd post this for him to see and give him the first opportunity, if anyone else is interested PM me.

Sorry I don't have digital camera to take pictures, and unfortuneatly their website doesn't either, go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks