1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any ...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul E V, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Paul E V

Paul E V Stunt Coordinator

Companies that will do recording for you ...

My parents have a ____load of LPs that I'd like to put on CD for them but the process is a pain in the neck.

2. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

I used to live in a city, and was on good terms with a record store owner, who had a contact who would transfer tapes onto cd.

Perhaps you can find a local individual who can do that type of thing for a fee?

The price was stiff ($25 for a 45 minute cd, made from one side of a 90 minute tape) and some disks had errors on a few tracks, but as you say, the job of digitizing old music and making "tracks" is a pain in the neck, if not actually beyond the capabilities of many people.

3. david stark

david stark Second Unit

why not just keep the vinyl? I have recently (about 18 months ago) bought a new turntable (rather than replace all my vinyl with CD) for my system and it sounds superb. OK you get some crackling (very little on records I have owned from new). Apart from that which is minor the sound quality is superb, obviously it isn't as convenient as a cd, you have to turn records over, but I wouldn't swap my records for CD's even if it was free.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

If it helps any: I have read several posts on Audioreview where people transferred vinyl to CD-R and 2 posters said they couldn't hear any difference between the CD-R and the original vinyl; the other two said the difference was audible but just so.

LJ [​IMG]

7. Paul E V

John Watson:
    That is a stiff price -- and I'd expect them to put all they could on the disc, not just one side.

Dave Stark:
    The vinyl WILL be kept, just stored away as it is now.

Christ Reynolds:
    I've done the LD replacement thing, of course I only had 20 movies, the only unreplaced ones are either not available on DVD (Star Wars trilogy) or I just haven't bought/found it yet (I think Phenomenon and Who Framed Rogger Rabbit are the only 2 I don't have yet)

8. Paul E V

Oooops ... :b

Justin Lane:
    I've got a crazy setup on my stereo, it's just the work involved (# of LPs) that is the problem

LanceJ:
    I've done transfers and don't notice anything

BTW, Justin, my setup is like this:

Source >RCA> Receiver >RCA> MD >Optical> CD-R >RCA> Receiver

Source = you name it
    CD-R & MD = looped on Tape 2 in/outputs

the only way to play MD is through the CD-R and the only way to record to CD-R is through the MD (or digi-link from CD)

Yes, I have the equipment/know-how --- I just don't have the desire to sit there as long as would be needed

9. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Paul E V, can't you sell all the vinyl to a second hand store, that's my best source for buying records.

10. Paul E V

[​IMG]