What's new

Are there any ... (1 Viewer)

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
Companies that will do recording for you ...

My parents have a ____load of LPs that I'd like to put on CD for them but the process is a pain in the neck.

John Watson

Screenwriter
I used to live in a city, and was on good terms with a record store owner, who had a contact who would transfer tapes onto cd.

Perhaps you can find a local individual who can do that type of thing for a fee?

The price was stiff ($25 for a 45 minute cd, made from one side of a 90 minute tape) and some disks had errors on a few tracks, but as you say, the job of digitizing old music and making "tracks" is a pain in the neck, if not actually beyond the capabilities of many people.

david stark

Second Unit
why not just keep the vinyl? I have recently (about 18 months ago) bought a new turntable (rather than replace all my vinyl with CD) for my system and it sounds superb. OK you get some crackling (very little on records I have owned from new). Apart from that which is minor the sound quality is superb, obviously it isn't as convenient as a cd, you have to turn records over, but I wouldn't swap my records for CD's even if it was free.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
why not just keep the vinyl?
probably for the same reason i copy all my laserdiscs to dvd. i think laserdiscs are fairly easy to damage, dvds hold up much better, as do cds. of course i still keep my laserdiscs, but i only bring them out if i want to watch a dolby digital disc, otherwise, dolby surround does fine.

CJ

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
My parents have a ____load of LPs that I'd like to put on CD for them but the process is a pain in the neck.
There are two ways to do this pretty easily.

First involves using a CD recorder in your stereo system. Loop the analog from the record player through your receiver to the recorder and the job is done. The only problem I see is if for some reason the records are scratched or your record player is unreliable, you could end up making a few coasters. Also side changes could be a bit of a pain in the ass.

Probably the best solution would be to feed the record player into a sound card in your PC, capture the records in .WAV format then burn them to a CD. This would give you more flexibility in recording and editing, and also keep you from makng coasters.

I would avoid paying anyone to transfer the records, because IMHO once you digitize them, you will probably be better off just buying the CD (unless it is something rare or unissued on CD).

J

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If it helps any: I have read several posts on Audioreview where people transferred vinyl to CD-R and 2 posters said they couldn't hear any difference between the CD-R and the original vinyl; the other two said the difference was audible but just so.

LJ

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
John Watson:
That is a stiff price -- and I'd expect them to put all they could on the disc, not just one side.

Dave Stark:
The vinyl WILL be kept, just stored away as it is now.

Christ Reynolds:
I've done the LD replacement thing, of course I only had 20 movies, the only unreplaced ones are either not available on DVD (Star Wars trilogy) or I just haven't bought/found it yet (I think Phenomenon and Who Framed Rogger Rabbit are the only 2 I don't have yet)

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
Oooops ... :b

Justin Lane:
I've got a crazy setup on my stereo, it's just the work involved (# of LPs) that is the problem

LanceJ:
I've done transfers and don't notice anything

BTW, Justin, my setup is like this:

Source >RCA> Receiver >RCA> MD >Optical> CD-R >RCA> Receiver

Source = you name it
CD-R & MD = looped on Tape 2 in/outputs

the only way to play MD is through the CD-R and the only way to record to CD-R is through the MD (or digi-link from CD)

Yes, I have the equipment/know-how --- I just don't have the desire to sit there as long as would be needed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks