What's new

Are there any tv cable only surge protectors? Surge damage questions too. (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
For some reason I have a big discolored area on my 32" tv I think it's from some sort of power surge. The kicker is that I have the Link Removed protecting my system. I do however have a Belkin SurgeMaster plugged into the Brickwall and I have everything plugged into that including the cable line (which it's supposed to protect).

So I'm guessing that the Belkin failed me I want to buy something that will protect my tv better. Any recommendations on any products that will just protect the cable line?

Any guesses on what could of put that discolored area on my screen?

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Or should I just send it away to be fixed?

Thanks,
James

GustavoM

Auditioning
Based on your statements, I believe the CRT needs de-gaussing.

The best surge protectors are based on silicon avalanche diode devices. They are very fast in the order of 2-nanoseconds.

Your best protection is to use an APC (sine-wave) UPS with a Transtector surge protector.

The Transtector connects to the AC supply the APC SmartUPS connects to the Transtector and your TV (+ elecronics) connects to the UPS. That way you have almost total protection except with a direct lightning hit. If the power goes out you can do an orderly turn-off!

james e m

Second Unit
How can I de-gauss my tv?

Also, wouldn't the APC only work if it allowed me to run my cable through it? Do you know of any companies that do this?
Thanks!
James

james e m

Second Unit
Would THIS be a solution?

Edit: Thanks for the reply Rick, we must of been posting at the same time! I'm going to radio shack today to check out your solution.

Thanks!
James

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I think the following comments are pretty valid.

1) I doubt your problem is a result of a surge. Get your TV checked out as something else may've happened.

2) Chaining your surge protectors is ineffective and a very large waste of money.

3) The RS product or the one from PE might make sense if there were a place to put a ground wire and that ground wire were in turn located within 10 feet of your building ground. Likely they're based on gas tube technology and are fairly slow to respond and have fairly high (several hundred volts) let-through voltage before they kick in. Their effectiveness is greatly increased by placing them where I suggest. They become signficantly more ineffective just putting them in-line.

4) Personally I think the UPS doesn't do much of anything, but I heartily endorse the concept of Silicon Avalanche Diodes and Transtector is a leader in protection from lighting.

5) Putting TVSS units here and there is a very expensive way to protect yourself. It's like putting a gun in every room to protect yourself. Better to stop the intruder before he enters. Get yourself a whole house protection device. This device is installed either at the breakers or at your meter. The point is that to protect against surges, you need to divert them to earth ground. And that ground is the ground outside your home and not the ground wire on your outlets. All incoming lines will be routed through that device: AC, phone, cable, satellite, etc. Seeing as you live in Michigan, a 1000 joule device should suit you well. Then you can add a few point of use protectors where needed. The transtector Think about it, why not give everything in your home basic protection from one device? Phones, washing machines, fridges, garage door openers, ovens, microwaves, anything that's electronic would have basic protection. The cost per protected appliance is quite reasonable.

You can contact a couple of electricians and have them quote you some proposals and costs. Then if you want, you can bounce them back here.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
For some reason I have a big discolored area on my 32" tv I think it's from some sort of power surge
Are your speakers(unshielded) to close? If they are shielded and causing the problem which they can it might be something in the speakers.

IF not then It's the tv and you need to have it degaussed. Essentially a TV Repair shop has a wand that plugs in and will degausse the TV. Last TV shop I worked at charge $60 for that. This is PROBABLY the problem. I'm not certain you can obtain a degaussing device to use yourself. It's like a wand that you wave in front of your tv really slowly.

Alas it doesn't appear your surge suppression failed. Looks like something electromagnetic came in contact or close to your TV. Then again is every connection to your tv covered as far as surge goes. Talking Phone lines into your devices, cable lines into all devices etc. Because lighting etc can be a very odd thing. Have seen folks with Surge devices on their TV but the surge came thru the cable line thru their VCR and then strike their TV. This was an experience I had working at a TV repair shop.

GustavoM

Auditioning
De-gaussing is a relatively simple procedure. But, if done incorrectly it could magnetize your CRT (Picture tube) beyond repair.

There are tools (Large-Coil with a power cord) available to do this.

The method is (remove watches and metal objects from your body)to turn the unit on several feet away (6 or 7 feet)from the CRT then approach the CRT very slowly and moved in around the CRT in a circular motion (Make sure the unit is off i.e., the TV)then very slowly move it away from the unit (again 6 or 7 feet)and then turn it off!

This procedure should remove any residual magnetism from the CRT.

If, you are NOT sure have somebody with experience do it.

james e m

Second Unit
Thanks everybody you all have given me a wealth of information and I think I've found the problem thanks to this thread. I can't believe I didn't think of this myself. :b My Studio 100s are not shielded and they are pretty close to my tv, I bet that's the problem!

Would the speakers only cause that problem when the are running or would it be there all the time?

Thanks everyone!
James

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If this is indeed the source of your problem james, you must post in each of the forums, once daily, I shall not place unshielded speakers next to my TV. Do this for a week.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks