Are there any stand-alone decoders for DPLII?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Gaffney, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Scott Gaffney

if so, who makes them? if not, are any planned? and if none planned, is there a technical reason why this isn't possible?
    Thanks in advance!
    sdg
    ------------------

2. Phil M

Phil M Stunt Coordinator

I was going to post the exact same thing!
    Anyone..?

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I know of none to my knowledge!
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

4. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

5. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Is there a way of doing this like others are doing to attain an EX surround?

6. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard Extra

Since PLII involves processing of 5 channels minimum, there is not really a practical way to get signal in and out of other products (receivers).
    It does not make much sense economically either if you consider you would likely want an A/D, a DIR, DSP, D/A, and all this goes in a case, with power supply, displays, switches, remote etc...
    Then think about how few people would buy it, and compare that with the economies of scale of say, a $600 receiver...
    ------------------
    Buzz Goddard
    TAG McLaren Audio

7. Scott Gaffney

Buzz:
    Thanks for the insight. So, is there something more complex about DPLII than say DTS or DD? There were/are stand-alone processors for those formats and they were economically feasible. Maybe not for everyone, but, they were available. I was just hoping there would be something I could run between my cable box and receiver and use the 5.1 inputs and set the receiver to Direct, the same way I do for DVD-Audio. Cable Coax In, and 5.1 out. I wouldn't even need a remote. They are doing DPLII in car radios, so it shouldn't have to be too large.
    Oh well, it was worth a shot. I'd like DPLII, but, since I would only use it to improve TV watching, which I don't do all that often, it really isn't a big deal. I just upgraded to 6.1 4 months ago, so, I can't justify another upgrade this quick just for DPLII. Certainly not in this economic climate.
    sdg
    ------------------

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Buzz- DPL II is for 2 channel stereo sources. It works the same as DPL, giving you 5 channels out. Just that instead of a mono rear signal in both the L + R channels, it does some type of decorrelation (or something) to give a stereo effect back there. Just updated DPL. Not like DD and DTS.
    Kendel- I have thought the same thing! DPL II would be better than straight DPL for "homebrew" THX EX on std DD and DTS DVDs. Wouldn't "collapse" the rears as much on a mono signal back there.
    ------------------