What's new

Are there any stand-alone decoders for DPLII? (1 Viewer)

if so, who makes them? if not, are any planned? and if none planned, is there a technical reason why this isn't possible?
Thanks in advance!
sdg
------------------

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I know of none to my knowledge!
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

Since PLII involves processing of 5 channels minimum, there is not really a practical way to get signal in and out of other products (receivers).
It does not make much sense economically either if you consider you would likely want an A/D, a DIR, DSP, D/A, and all this goes in a case, with power supply, displays, switches, remote etc...
Then think about how few people would buy it, and compare that with the economies of scale of say, a $600 receiver...
------------------
Buzz Goddard
TAG McLaren Audio

Buzz:
Thanks for the insight. So, is there something more complex about DPLII than say DTS or DD? There were/are stand-alone processors for those formats and they were economically feasible. Maybe not for everyone, but, they were available. I was just hoping there would be something I could run between my cable box and receiver and use the 5.1 inputs and set the receiver to Direct, the same way I do for DVD-Audio. Cable Coax In, and 5.1 out. I wouldn't even need a remote. They are doing DPLII in car radios, so it shouldn't have to be too large.
Oh well, it was worth a shot. I'd like DPLII, but, since I would only use it to improve TV watching, which I don't do all that often, it really isn't a big deal. I just upgraded to 6.1 4 months ago, so, I can't justify another upgrade this quick just for DPLII. Certainly not in this economic climate.
sdg
------------------

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Buzz- DPL II is for 2 channel stereo sources. It works the same as DPL, giving you 5 channels out. Just that instead of a mono rear signal in both the L + R channels, it does some type of decorrelation (or something) to give a stereo effect back there. Just updated DPL. Not like DD and DTS.
Kendel- I have thought the same thing! DPL II would be better than straight DPL for "homebrew" THX EX on std DD and DTS DVDs. Wouldn't "collapse" the rears as much on a mono signal back there.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks