1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any singers here?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Just curious if there are any fellow singers here. I've been singing (not professionally) on and off for the past five years. With each practice session, I find myself improving (it's getting easier and easier for me to hear myself whether I'm on key or off key). I don't have a new voice recorder yet (my old one -- voice-activated -- just would not allow me to record long enough to allow me to make a meaningful judgement on my progress). I need to find a decent one pretty soon -- I'm interested in hearing my progress.

In the beginning, I was taught the basics (breathing, tone control, staying on key) by my grandmother. Since then, however, I've practiced on my own. I learned to read music from a piano class I took during my senior year in high school. Until recently, I've only been able to sight sing (that is, I couldn't sing along with others until I could see the music that was written). Pretty soon, I'm considering finally stepping onto the karaoke scene to develop my stage presence and confidence. Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to start singing professionally. I'll record myself and post some MP3s on here for those that are interested in hearing and critiquing me.

So, who else here sings for fun?

2. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

I'm a singer....
    not in a band, but on stage
    in both opera and musicals...... and in small jazzy cabaret venues.....
    Only turned pro in '98.
    Sounds like you are off to a good start......
    I think singing just makes you feel good....as simple as it sounds....

3. Jefferson

Double post?
    Sorry.

4. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Does karaoke count? I used to be an absolute karaoke junkie a couple years ago.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I'm a singer. I sing Bass.

One thing that I've found interesting is that I'm convinced I sing better when I'm in better shape. Having less of a gut (and I'm not a big guy @ 6' 168 lbs) seems to help me extend my range lower.

Have fun.

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    Yep. I sang with a few metal and rock bands from the late 80's to the mid 90's. My biggest achievement was being able to sing some Steve Perry-era Journey perfectly. As I've gotten older, though, I lost a lot of range. One of the drawbacks to getting old I guess.

7. Jefferson

Most opera singers expand their guts, it seems....
    guess thats why i'm not the best opera singer.
    But i hear you, it would make sense for more control of the diaphram, to be in better shape.

I'm a tenor, now we need a baritone, an alto and a soprano.

Hey, karaoke is cool.....helps you get over any stage fright as well.

8. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Naturally, I'm a baritone.