Are there any SACD players with MP3 playback?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Jul 14, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

The title says it all, I just wanted to know if Sony or any other companies have something like this in the works. Thanks!
    James

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, none of Sony's SACD/CD players play MP3-encoded CDs. However, I believe the forthcoming DVP-NS755V progressive-scan DVD/SACD/CD player will. It will sell for around $300. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. Also, I believe the Pioneer Elite DV-47A progressive-scan DVD/DVD-Audio/SACD/CD player handles MP3-encoded CDs. It sells for $750-1000.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    I believe Sony's upcoming DVP-NS905V will also include SACD and MP3 playback. Marantz's DV8300 also includes both, as does the Apex AD-7701.

Adam

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Thanks guys for the info! I'm glad there are some options out there for me. I just hope somebody makes a 5 disc carousel version of a SACD with MP3 playback.
    James

6. Ian Montgomerie

Ian Montgomerie Stunt Coordinator

Depends if you want to buy home theater in a box or not. Sony actually has two seperate player manufacturers, Sony Home Audio Corporation and Sony Home Video Corporation. Sony Home Audio Corporation manufactures the "home theater in a box" products with included receiver and speakers. Starting a few weeks ago (I forget what the end-user model number is for the first player is, but by now it should be on shelves), Sony's HTiB products are using LSI Logic's Ziva5 decoder which includes full MP3 support. Many of these players also support SACD. The MP3 support is pretty nice, it was tested extensively against all bitrates and a large variety of encoders. There is a decent GUI menu which displays the directory structure and files on the disc, using the long file names. Although a pet peeve of mine is that the menu only goes across about half the screen, so particularly long file names will be cut off anyway.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

James, Sony is incorporating MP3 playback in all of its DVD players being released in 2002. So, I would expect its forthcoming DVD/SACD players to handle MP3s. Also, I should mention that it has been said here that OneCall has the 'NS755V for $270. You can call them at 1-800-340-4770.

Thus far, I have not heard of Sony releasing a replacement for the 'NC650V DVD/SACD carousel changer. If it does, I'm sure such a new model would handle MP3s too.

8. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Does anybody know when Sony will release a 5 disc SACD/MP3 player?
    James