What's new

Are there any plans to release Scrubs on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Quite a few people missed the first season of Scrubs last year since it was opposite "24." I think that "24" was released so quickly on DVD to build new viewers for this season (I am a Scrubs watcher who missed 24 and will be watching 24 this year after seeing it on DVD). If releasing "24" so quickly results in 1) good sales and 2)more viewers this season, then I think releasing Scrubs in the near future on DVD is not out of the realm of possibility. I draw this comparison to "24" because both shows are a great product, and many may not watch because of TV schedule conflicts or poor advertising (Scrubs has always been marketed as a Screw-ball comedy when in fact there is great story and drama to the show that really accentuate it). In this scenario, I can see Scrubs getting released in the near future to "get the word out" and increase viewership.
As for me, I'd buy Season sets of Scrubs in a heartbeat. Easily one of the best shows on TV. :emoji_thumbsup:
--Tom

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
I agree that Scrubs is much more than an off-the-wall comedy. I only caught it midseason, and regret missing the earlier episodes. I'd readily purchase a first season DVD set.
8^B

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Tom: While all of that is very true, one must remember that 24 came out on DVD quickly because there was no market for syndication, being such a continuity heavy production.

Tom Rags

Supporting Actor
Adam- Good point...I never thought of it that way. However, Scrubs has that "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" thing going for it in that it is wonderful but needs some more word of mouth going for it. If they made the boxset cheap (ala 24) and practically gave it away, perhaps you would draw more interest in the show. When you have a good product, the key is getting the word out. I am thinking that ratings are ultimately more profitable for the bottom line (even though syndication rights are quite profitable as well).

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
Are the ratings for "Scrubs" really that good? I discovered it midseason last year and have watched it religiously since.
I agree that it just might be good promotion. I really doubt that Scrubs has the best syndication possibilities. It just doesn't seem like the kind of show that would fit in well among the likes of "Seinfeld" and "Cheers."
Something about the very nature of "Scrubs" seems perfect for DVD boxsets. Thankfully, the show is heavily character-dependent, but that leaves people that never were introduced to them wondering about some things.
And it is so much more than just a comedy. Granted, it's hilarious but it's a beautiful drama at the same time.

Looking forward to having "Scrubs"-athons at some point in the future...

Steven Sims

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing to remember about 24, Fox has refused to show repeats, so if you missed an episode, you were out of luck. All other shows are repeated ad nauseum, including Scrubs.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Actually 24 had an 'encore' performance on the FX channel after each weeks episode. So if you missed the Fox showing you had two opportunities to see it on FX.

He@ther

Grip
I agree, I totally love Scrubs and would definitely buy season box sets. I was undecided on how much I liked it until tonight's episode. I always saw it as funny, but not something that I'd necessarily want to have and to hold forever in a DVD set. Tonight's episode had the coolest quote at the end about wanting someone who only wants to be friends and sucking it up and being for them anyway, and it was way cool. I wish I could remember it verbatim. I would totally buy it! I just hope the series doesn't get cancelled, because it seems that shows in the post-Friends timeslot never do well, even though I have loved all of them, save for that weird one last year with the girl getting married and then sleeping with some random guy an hour after she meets him. Jesse, Stark Raving Mad, Inside Schwartz, all great Thursday night NBCers that got cancelled. I never understood why Jesse got cancelled, either - I understood that it had great ratings.

:: crosses fingers for Scrubs (and ER!) on DVD ::

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Scrubs is probably THE hottest comedy NBC has right now after Friends, and they acknowledge that Friends fans (me included) might be watching more because they're on autopilot, where Scrubs fans are actually seeking out the show (me included).

As stated before, I wouldn't look for Scrubs to hit DVD very soon. But it's continued success just means it will probably hit DVD sometime!

MarkBurton

Second Unit
I didn't watch this show for awhile because it was marketed as E.R., but filled with wise-cracking, hilarious, zany characters in a madcap, antics-filled romp. So naturally I thought it was going to be autopilot comedy. But after several recommendations, I watched a few episodes and I love it. Great comedy and great drama.
The M*A*S*H of the 21st century.

DannyS

Second Unit
I LOVE SCRUBS!!!!!! My self and the wife are addicts and will buy this in an instant! (I would say it's better that friends)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't compare Scrubs to either E.R. or M*A*S*H on any level other than "hospital/doctor TV Show". Not even the "comedy" tag lets Scrubs and M*A*S*H compare...they each have their "serious" moments (like the aforementioned closer of last night's episode; great stuff) but they have a completely different style on it, and thus a different identity.

If I had to try to nail down the different styles, I would say that M*A*S*H was always more "preachy", whereas Scrubs is more like "these are life's little lessons".

I'm no Superman...

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
One problem with releasing Scrubs on DVD: they use a lot of songs they would have to pay for unless they wrote it into the contract.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Terry, most shows these days are clearing DVD for the music at the same time. It's frankly cheaper than doing it later. This is only a trend in the last 18 months really

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks