What's new

Are there any plans to release Law & order on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have season 1-20 as individual seasons. I was rewatching Season 1and I noticed some of the eps seemed grainy in picture quality. Keeping in mind that I own the Original Season one release

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I suspect the only way we'll ever see Law & Order being released on bluray, is if Universal ever outsources it to Mill Creek.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I would say not. L&O has always gotten short shrift in bonus features and other things. For some reason, SVU, a "pervert of the week" show, has always gotten more love. I mean, they didn't even make Season 14 anamorphic for the box set!

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would say not. L&O has always gotten short shrift in bonus features and other things. For some reason, SVU, a "pervert of the week" show, has always gotten more love. I mean, they didn't even make Season 14 anamorphic for the box set!

By "anamorphic", I'm assuming you mean it's not even the correct widescreen ratio, just a bad 1.33:1 cropjob.

Also, S14 is still just the edited syndication versions of the episodes. They had three tries to get it right and failed.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
By "anamorphic", I'm assuming you mean it's not even the correct widescreen ratio, just a bad 1.33:1 cropjob.

Also, S14 is still just the edited syndication versions of the episodes. They had three tries to get it right and failed.

Actually, L&O S14 isn't a crop job. It's letterboxed inside a 1.33:1 frame.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have season 1-20 as individual seasons. I was rewatching Season 1and I noticed some of the eps seemed grainy in picture quality. Keeping in mind that I own the Original Season one release

That grainy look was what Dick Wolf was going for at the time. The pilot was actually shot on 16mm!

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think L&O will ever be on Blu-Ray since there were so many seasons. Ditto SVU. Criminal Intent "only" had 10 seasons. In such a scenario, maybe that would be a candidate to try it. But I don't see it happening at all, for any part of the franchise, even if sourced out.

The Mothership released all 20 seasons in a DVD set and individually. The box set is still $300+ years after the fact, so I can only imagine the cost if it ever was put on Blu. Take out a loan?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Usually I'm not on board when original aspect ratios aren't respected when these shows turn up in syndication, but the widescreen versions of Law & Order don't seem to have been hurt at all in their transitions to 1.78:1, and I've enjoyed watching them on various cable stations when things are slow at other places on the dial.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I wish they'd dig up the alternate CBS version of the pilot A&E always used to air. IIRC it's quite different.

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
I wish they'd dig up the alternate CBS version of the pilot A&E always used to air. IIRC it's quite different.

I think it has aired. "Everybody's Favorite Bagman" was the original pilot [filmed in 1988, when Wolf first shopped the show, but no one was interested] but has been now put as Episode 6 of S1 [makes no sense to me]. But Sundance showed it in rotation as the pilot and then went forward with S1 as of just a few weeks ago.

I had forgotten that William H. Macy appeared in it and that Adam Schiff was not the DA there. (A character played by Roy Thinnes was; when NBC picked up the show in 1990, he didn't have interest in reprising the role and went on to new projects. Steven Hill was then cast as DA Adam Schiff.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks