ARe there any plans to release a ST:TOS box set?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Emma, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Eric Emma

Eric Emma Supporting Actor

I look up the prices it would be 600 bux to get all 40 volumes(each volume only has 2 episodes) this is a major rip...[​IMG]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

None, because the ydon't want to piss off the people that paid for the 40 discs. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but not until after Voyager's out for sure

3. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I posted recently informatin regarding this. Hopefully this address works to take you to it. Or do a search next time.

Future Star Trek DVD's

Nelson

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

A typical movie runs for about two hours and no one complains about the cost. Two episodes of TOS clock in at two hours, and everybody has a problem. These discs can be found at online retailers for around $11 or so. Seems like a reasonable price to me.

Now, if you want to talk about the lackluster cover art on these discs you're onto something. You'd think Paramount would have accorded the series that started this phenomenon a little more dignitiy. But, on the other hand, the discs were being released when DVD was still young.

5. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I dunno Jack. 600 bucks for the complete run is still pretty expensive, or even 40 disks at 12 bucks each. That's still nearly 500 bucks. That's more than the entire 7-year run of TNG.

6. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Because you're only getting 3 seasons of show and not 7

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Isn't that what I said?

9. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

I have 22 out of the 40 volumes so far. All I can say is that they better stay available until I have all 40. I've been working on them for YEARS. It's much less painful that way (though I got impatient and snapped up all the TNG sets within a few months).

10. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I ended up collecting all 40 volumes by purchasing 2 per paycheck, for every paycheck when I could afford approximately $30 (my local stores had them for $14.99 each).

Nowadays it's hard to find them in-stock, so buying online is the way to go. But the same method should still work. In under 2 years I was all set.

11. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

The cost is all relative.

When they were released to VHS it was typically one episode per cassette, and the cost was typically $14.95 per tape. The audio was "VHS HI-FI" mono (of course!).

These DVD's contain all-new DD 5.1 audio mixes (and some of them, like "Balance of Terror" are spectacular) and digital video restorations; plus you get two eps per disc!

So ... You're getting twice the content of the VHS tapes with almost double the audio/video quality ... for about three dollars less per unit.

See?

They're a heck of a bargain!!!

12. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Hehe, well that's one way of looking at it Joseph! I guess I kind of like being able to pick and choose what discs to buy for my favorite episodes (I own 5 of them) though I would DEFINITELY purchase season sets if they were to be made available. The individual discs must still be available separately if they switch to box sets. Otherwise, I'm sure there would be a lot of angry people like John who have been collecting them for a long time if they were to stop offering individual discs.

13. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I applied similar reasoning to buying the TNG sets. At first I was like "$100 a set?-no way!". But then I thought, I had bought about a dozen episodes on VHS, so I figured if I could find about 8-10 episodes per season that I liked, it would be worth ot. Well, after getting through all 7 seasons, I found many more that I liked, so it was definitely worth it.

I've never been a big fan of TOS, so the likelihood of me buying them in their current release state is little to none, but if they were put out in season set I'd probably take a look.

14. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Eric be patient - TOS will eventually be released as season sets.

Trust me - Paramount won't miss an opportunity like that.

15. Ken Ranke

Ken Ranke Agent

16. John Alderson

John Alderson Supporting Actor

Lowest I've ever seen em online (new) was $15. I think you can get them cheaper on eBay or similar. Best Buy and Circuit City both seem to be just selling what stock they have; their selection is getting worse and worse. I get all of them online now.

I was planning to have them all by now, but then I unexpectedly went nuts and bought all of TNG. [​IMG] (It's my favorite series.) So my TOS plans got delayed a bit.

Still, it's less painful to spread out the payments over time. TNG put quite a dent in the bank account.

17. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Here's a twist: what's the comparison of the budgets between the show and a typical movie? That might be a different way to evaluate the value.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor