Are there any outboard HT eq's out there?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Al H., Mar 17, 2004.

1. Al H.

Al H. Agent

Searching for a digital equalizer(outboard) Im not to happy with the built in dsp effects on my reciever(Denon AVR1804). It dosent offer much when it comes to adjusting the proper frequencies for certain types of music. I mean it has a bass and treble sweeping adjust, thats about it. I was going to look into recording DEQ's but I was told that there would be to much noise involved. Any advice would be just wonderful. lol[​IMG]

2. Al H.

Al H. Agent

sorry I put this in wrong forum

3. JakubH

JakubH Stunt Coordinator

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You’d have to buy a stack of the Behringers if you want to EQ all channels. AudioControl makes a multi-channel digital EQ specifically for home theater use. They also make some excellent analog multi-channel home theater equalizers (my personal preference – I’m not too keen on the extra AD/DA conversion a digital EQ will have to do); you could probably get one of them by the time you buy all the Behringers you’ll need.

Keep in mind, though, for every channel you wish to equalize you’ll either need pre-out/main-in jacks, or extra amplifiers for all channels without them.

Typically, the price of multiple equalizers and the extra amps scare most people off.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Al H.

Al H. Agent

I would probably never incorporate a Behringer copycat component into my HT system no offense. About the Audiocontrol DEQ, your saying I would have to buy serapate contol eqs per channel or just serarate amps per channel. The unit can handle how many channels?

6. Al H.

Al H. Agent

Disregard last reply Wayne. I looked up AC equalizers and thank you so much for the info because your advice gave me the results I was looking for. [​IMG]

7. Shane-M

Shane-M Agent

Take a look at the Rane THX EQ:

www .rane.com/thx44.html

8. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

to me, it seems like a LOT of effort and money to add to a denon 1803? i would suggest dropping the money in a nicer receiver.

9. Al H.

Al H. Agent

Its a Denon 1804, and I would like to have the flexability with the outboard eq to manipulate certain frequencies when needed. To me it does seem reasonable to shell out the extra cash for the extra equalization. Im fairly new when it comes to home theater, but im also a recording engineer and to have the ability to tune your desired frequency at the slide of paragraphic fader or even a twist of a parametric knob can be crucial when sound quality is of utmost importance.[​IMG]

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I would tend to agree. A “nicer” receiver will give you better specs, more power, more features and inputs, but it won’t do much to improve sound quality. To me equalizers are “infrastructure,” just like outboard amplifiers. Once you have them, you’re good to go and you can use them from now on. They don’t become outdated like receivers and source components.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

11. bob falfa

bob falfa Auditioning

happy new year all... try a Rane THX44 or the Rane SSE 35 either will work perfect i bet.. the THX44 is a graphic/parametric equalizer and the SSE 35 is a graphic equalizer... i use both the THX44 for my HT system upstairs and the SSE 35 in my downstairs system.... they are both excellent products , as you know the HT equalizer is not a easy thing to find and once you use one you'll never go without them...IMO...

12. mayhem13

mayhem13 Stunt Coordinator

In the eary days of ht, i used 3 behringer dual 31 band parametrics to control all channels from a seperate digital decoder to the eq's and out to my amps 5.1 input and it worked perfectly allowing me to take control of each channel independently and was especially usefull for my sub. The eq's were are about $150.00 each and well worth it IMO.