What's new

Are there any other cables needed to get a game console suround sound enabled (1 Viewer)

Josef_K

Agent
Can i just plug in the component cables into the reciever and go?

will that get souround sound?

What eles is needed?

i know speakers

is everything eles just extra spiecal stuff?

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
You will need an optical cable to get surround sound. Since you're talking about component cables you can only be talking about the next-gen system right?

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I'm not sure about this but for sound purposes you will need either a Optical or Coaxial cable to get DD and DTS for your games.Hope this helps.:)

Ashok

Agent
I believe the PS2 has an optical output on the back of the console. If you have an Xbox, you will need either the Advanced AV Pack or the HD AV Pack, which also give you S-Video or Component video support, respectively. Not sure about the Gamecube.

EDIT: Okay, I went to the submit page before you replied. Since that receiver has 3 optical and 1 coaxial input, it will let you hook up all the cables you need to get surround sound for all three pieces of hardware. You will need two toslink cables for the PS2 and Xbox, and either a toslink or a coaxial cable for the DVD player. For the Xbox, you'll either need an Advanced or HD AV pack, depending on if you want to use component or S-video. I am not positive, but I don't think you need anything extra for the PS2.

Josef_K

Agent
I will have the DVD player and the Xbox on Component. and the PS2 on S-Video.

What is the toslink cable? IS that the cable for the optical input?

for i will need

PS2 - 1 toslink cable

Xbox - 1 toslink cable and HD AV pack

DVD player- 1 toslink or coaxial

Thanks alot

Ashok

Agent
Yes, a toslink is an optical cable. I believe the Xbox will eventually release an AV pack that will let you use a coaxial digital cable, but no such option exists right now.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Without getting into a cable war......

I puchased RCA toslink optical cables for 12 bucks a piece. You could buy another game with the money saved. Also the HD av pack comes with a component cable (albeit a crappy one but just so you'd know)

Gold plated connectors on an OPTICAL cable...bwahahahahahaaha. Improves dynamic clarity with super high antioxident gold connectors to more precisely deliver your optical music. bwaahahahaahhahha. sorry, i'm slipping.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Ok got a little off base.

Yes, those products will provide you with the video and audio hookups you'll need. Try the component cable that comes with the xbox HD pack for a week, then go buy a better one. compare them and decide if the component cable is worth it. At least that way you'll have some sort of reference.

I use both the xbox/HD and PS2. Just going to digital 5.1 sound will blow you away.

Josef_K

Agent
So wait.

If i want my PS2 on S-video and souround sound I will need the S-video hook ups AND the optical cables?

If i want my Xbox on Component and souround sound I will need the Component hook ups AND the optical cables?

If i want my DVD player on Component and souround sound I will need the Component hook ups AND the optical or Coax cables?

and thats it?

i will try out diffferent tpye of cables thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, except with X-Box where you will need either the advanced AV pack (S-Video) or the HD AV pack (Digital Component) pack for optical out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks