What's new

Are there any open OS that will play Games? (1 Viewer)

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I have played around with a PC that has ubuntu but noticed I cant load any of the games a Windows based PC will load. Is there any open OS's that will load and play store bought games? This seems to be a big problem with OS's if they can't play games isn't it?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
No there aren't, and yes, it's a problem if gaming on your PC is important to you. The closest thing to a solution is probably Wine and CrossOver, which are related.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Thanks for the reply, I refurbish PC's for Foster Children and had these PC's donated. Other then not being able to play games would this OS be useful to Children from 8-18 with who knows what PC back ground they may have? I just hate to have them fire it up and starr at it and say what the heck is this like I did at first!

chuckg

Supporting Actor
At the risk of being flamed
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I would say that the donated computers should resemble computers that the kids will see "in real life" as much as possible. Sad, but that means windows OS with MS apps.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Consider yourself flamed
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Kids are more likely to adapt to different OSes and apps. Woe is the ten-year-old that needs to know PowerPoint. With Linux, you still get internet and instant messaging. There are office apps if the older ones need to type papers. Support for Flash is not solid, which can be a plus or minus.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
I know they can adapt, all my boys public schools have macs in them to learn on and no IBM's. But not being able to play games, now that's a biggy for me! I can just imagine the kid get's his PC then goes and buys a game just to find his new PC will not even load it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks